Looking Into The Future

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lsrpm

Looking Into The Future

Post by lsrpm »

I have had no luck this season. Partly it was bad luck, and partly it was bad technique.

Let me explain. I used to hunt every single season with rifles for around 15 years while I lived in Saskatchewan. Most of the time successful. Then I moved to Winnipeg Manitoba and got married. Didn't know anyone in the area to hunt with and didn't really believe in solo hunting, and besides which, my wife was uncomfortable with rifles in the house.

She is not uncomfortable with archery or crossbows, I discovered this past year. This means I could get back into hunting after a hiatus of almost 10 years.

It also means I had to relearn hunting skills, and modify them to match the new skills involved with archery and crossbow. I did not have a hunting stand, so I was stalking on the ground or standing in shadowed areas in the bush. I saw plenty of deer, but was never in range.

I can accept the fact that I am learning or relearning skills. My ego is not so fragile that I have to be successful every time I go out. I am willing to put in my time. I will spend the off season honing my skills with the crossbow itself, so that when I do get a chance at a shot, I can be confident it goes where I want.

What I am looking for is contacts, either in Manitoba, or parts of Ontario. I would like to explore the possibility of hooking up with a hunting partner or party that goes out with crossbows. I would like to learn more, and enjoy hunting once more.
If a man says something in the forest, and his wife is not around to hear him,,,,,,,,Is he still wrong?
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I also like to hunt with a partner and am lucky to have my father to hunt with. I can't help you with the partner thing but would like to give you some tips. If not afraid of hieghts go out this winter when there is some fresh snow and scout trails on your property. Mark intersections and get some stands up they will increase myour odds. Make uo some good ground blinds. If using a crossbow watch for branches in the path of your limbs. When hunting from the ground just stand more than walking ie. move twenty yards at a time then stand for a good 5-10 minutes looking. I now a guy that does this will doing buck grunts or doe bleats and has a lot of luck doing it. Good luck next year I'm sure it won't be long before you harvest one of those big western whitetails.
peter p

Post by peter p »

I would get a new wife :lol:
doegirl

Post by doegirl »

I don't understand it...Not comfortable with firearms but ok with archery equipment? Can't rip on you too hard.. I married a man who was a nonhunter when we first met. I bought him a shotgun, a compound bow, and some fishing rods. He went fishing and bowhunting a couple times. That equipment is now collecting dust. We're now divorced :wink:
I am not an excalibur owner, but I consider this site to be one of the most helpful forums around. If you don't find any hunting partners, at least you'll have plenty of help at your fingertips. :)
As for ground hunting, they don't call it "hunting the hard way" for nothing. I commend you for not trying shots out of range. I ground hunt too, and, man, it sure gets tempting sometimes to release a "Hail Mary".
If it's possible get yourself a treestand. Unless you're physically or psychologically (fear of heights) incapable of climbing trees, I think it will help you fill that freezer a little faster. :D
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
-Thomas Jefferson
A.W

Post by A.W »

doegirl wrote: I bought him a shotgun, a compound bow, and some fishing rods. He went fishing and bowhunting a couple times. That equipment is now collecting dust. We're now divorced :wink:
My kind of lady. You Like Scotsmen?? :lol: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

First off buy a good safe. Put it out of the way somewere. Buy a gun. Put it in the safe. Lock it and do not tell anyone the code ( no one! ). Now your spouse can have no reason to fear for kids, others, ect. Now that you have some say around the place. Be sure you are considerate of her feelings and dont take it out but for a reason. She has every right to not like guns and to expect them to be used safely but she can not control you.

Now for the fun part get out that crossbow and practise just like you said. then come spring before the leaves come back get out and do some scouting look for funnels put up tree stands and you can be sure your chances for a kill next season will be far greater. Best of luck.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Isrpm,
I takes 3 to 5 years to eally learn a piece of property and how the deer move on it during the change feed conditions and weather conditions. Scout, Scout and Scout until you find the one tree on the property that see more deer than any other tree. IF YoU CAN GET IN AND GET OUT WITHOUT THEM SMELLING YOU OR SEEING YOU then build your stand, ground or tree it makes no difference, and hunt ONLY when the wind is right. This is the rule most people do not pay enough attention to and it is the one that pays the highest returns. The tree may be in a funnel, it may be on an inside corner, it may be the edge of a feeding area or bedding area. But there is one tree that sees more deer than any other tree in the forest. Find it.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur