O/T NEF Handi-Rifle

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

rifle

Post by terry-1 »

I have a 223 super light Handi rifle I carry around the farm year around. It shoots great and feels very light to carry around.
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

I've heard real good things about the Handi Rifles, never shot one myself though. Don't know about the sights.
big dog

Post by big dog »

I had the same rifle in .17 caliber and it shot very well-also had the H&R single shot slug gun and killed over 25 whitetail with it-it was deadly accurate-1"groups at 100 yards-got rid of it to buy a savage model 210f that shoots just as good if not better-but the single shots are built very sturdy.
big dog
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
wabi

Post by wabi »

Over the years I've owned & shot a wide variety of H&R single shots and have never seen one that wasn't good. Maybe not pretty, but very functional and decent accuracy.
wabi
ogo

Post by ogo »

I own three, 223, 45/70 buff classic and 50 cal. huntsman ML, all great shooter's. For more info on Handi's go to the NEF/ H&R centerfire rifle forum at www.graybeardoutdoors.com ****************ogo
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

I just purchased an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe in 20 gauge. I'm going to top it off with a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 shotgun scope. Can't wait to get it all together and sighted in. From what I read about it - it is going to be an awesome weapon!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

What kind of handloads can they handle? For .45-70. Class 1, 2 or 3?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Chris,
Years ago I had a H&R "Shikari" model in 45-70 and asked the manufacturer that question. Their reply was that due to the lockup of the system they recommended the lighter loads. I slowly worked up into the medium loads, and never had any indications of any types of problems. I would think that since that action and similar ones are now chambered in some fairly hefty calibers there would probably be no harm in shooting some the loads from the medium group. I also had a T/C Contender pistol I used a 14" 45-70 barrel on. At the time it wasn't legal in Ohio for deer, so I eventually traded it off, but it was fun to plink with using the medium loads. An empty pop bottle at 100 yards didn't have a chance, and you didn't have to look at the primer to see if the cartridge went off :lol: It was a handful of handgun. I sure would like to have shot a deer with it.
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

wabi wrote: An empty pop bottle at 100 yards didn't have a chance, and you didn't have to look at the primer to see if the cartridge went off :lol: It was a handful of handgun.
:D :D How far did the recoil throw your hand?

Thanks for the info too!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

How far did the recoil throw your hand?
Chris,
With a two hand grip the hands were usually pointed straight up after the shot. I consider a 44 mag to be very light on recoil in comparison. When I first bought the gun I was plinking 400 to 500 hundred rounds a week through a Ruger single action 45Colt (loaded to 44 mag ballistics) and the first few sessions about 20 rounds were enough. A buddy who shot a 44mag alongside me for most of the practice quit after 2 shots because it was hurting his forearms. If I remember right I was using 350 grain bullets pushed along at 1500 - 1600 fps. We shot at an old quarry where a lot of kids hung out and threw out plenty of beer bottles for targets. We had a small range set up for up to 100 yard shooting, and did most of our pistol practice at that distance. Many times local cops stopped by and shot with us, but they were amazed that we could consistantly break bottles at 100 yards. With their service pistols they didn't fare so well.
Now "progress" has turned the quarry ino a recycling center, and the shooting there is only a distant memory.
wabi
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

wabi wrote:I also had a T/C Contender pistol I used a 14" 45-70 barrel on. At the time it wasn't legal in Ohio for deer, so I eventually traded it off, but it was fun to plink with using the medium loads. An empty pop bottle at 100 yards didn't have a chance, and you didn't have to look at the primer to see if the cartridge went off :lol: It was a handful of handgun. I sure would like to have shot a deer with it.
I was wondering this same thing while looking at the Thompson Center book - is the .45-70 considered a "straight walled pistol caliber" under Ohio regulations?

Seems to me if you can handle the recoil, that would be a hoot of a deer gun at 100 paces or less.