Red dot scope question.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warpipe

Red dot scope question.

Post by warpipe »

I'm wondering if deer notice the red glare on the receiving end of a red dot scope especially in low light conditions.? It seems to me the l.e.d. inside the scope would be quite visible to an approaching deer if pointed in his direction. I guess by that point it's too late for Mr. Buck anyway!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I had one on my 870 pump gun for turkey hunting and the turkeys would come in take one look and they were gone!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't figure out what was going on till I saw that red glare...looked like and evil eye...took the red dot off my shotgun and problem solved...turkeys came in stayed and were blown over by a barrel full of #6's!!!!! Will I use the red dot again..NO!!!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

I'm no biologist, but I believe deer are color blind.

They don't react to things they see the way a turkey does... hence the reason you can stand perfectly still in blaze orange and have a deer look right at you and not run to the hills - he may sense something is wrong, but isn't quite sure what... even though the thing is starting right at him.

That said, it may not be an issue with deer - or if they see the glare, I don't think it matters that the glare is red - only that it exists.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I would think you have bigger problems than the RED DOT, if a deer is looking in your direction
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i have a red dot on my crossbow i have killed several turkeys with it,,,,in fact i missed a big tom this spring ,shot over his back( too close) he just looked at me then started eating,,,,,2nd shot got him.

hatchrt jack