some cool pictures from this week

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

some cool pictures from this week

Post by R.J. »

Well we hunted on and off all week ..... CH , and VA both took nice body sized 4 points , and I got a nice doe .... the big boys have eluded us this week , but we had fun !

I missed a shot on a nice 8 point :oops: ..... shot over after a deflection :cry: ..... I was out with Mikey V's son Chris ..... the buck then came by him but offered no shot :(

Got my truck stuck real good with leonk yesterday while scouting ( pic's to follow ) .... thought they were going to have to airlift us out ! :lol: :lol:

I emptied the camera today .... here are some of the best shots from the week ....

A small 5 point has been hanging around my stand , I passed on him earlier and Monday a.m. he was out again ..... the light was too poor for a picture , but when the sun was rising he wandered out in the field and I got a cool picture of him .

A cool shot of a coyote crossing the farm yard one morning ...

Some birds that visited while on stand ....

The 2nd rut is peaked in our area .... starting to see fresh rubs again ...

Although we haven't seen any big boys chasing does so far , partly because the weather was real fowl and we didn't get out as much as we would have liked ..... I did manage to get some pictures of 2 small rack bucks following does this a.m.

The series of shots starts off with a frame showing multiple deer .... if you look close in the bottom right corner of the 1st frame you can see a small yealing doe flagging her tail for the two bucks that are follwing to the left of the frame ....

The next frame shows the 2 bucks following her tracks , and the rest of the frames are of the bucks sniffing around until they walked out of sight .

The last buck walks through an opening and all the deer move up the ridge ....

Later that morning I spotted a tired , hungry pheasant desperately trying to pick some corn stubble out ..... I was able to walk withing 5 feet of him before he took off .... man he looked thin and scruffy ! ..... The pheasant season is still on , but I didn't have my dog along to share the moment , so I decided to catch it on film to share with the guys .....

Sorry no , dead deer pictures in this post ..... too busy packing them out and to the butcher ....

CH took his from a tree stand postion .... 20 yard shot .....approx 40 yard recovery . Shooting an Exomax .

VA took his from a ground position he had scouted out the day before ..... 15 yard shot ..... approx 35 yard recovery . Shooting an Exocet 200 .

Mine was a 20 yard shot from a tree stand position ..... approx 85 yard recovery ( towards the truck ! :lol: ) . Shooting a tuned down Exomax .
Last edited by R.J. on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

beautiful pictures rj. Thanks. What kind of camera do you use?
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

R.J those are awesome photos man. You must have had a blast! Thanks for showing those.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Great Pics R.J. Thanks for sharing! It looks like your hunting a great area holding a good amount of deer! Congrats on the kills and great scouting
leonk

Post by leonk »

great pics RJ. Pheasant is so cool.
Congrats on the deer.
As soon as I develope the truck film I will send you the pics.

LK
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

great pics
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks guys .... it's been a habit of mine to carry the camera when I can to catch some cool scenes from our time in the field .... glad to share them with fellow outdoorsman that can relate to the scenes ....

Golden Eagle , bstout : I have an old Pentax PZ10 35mm auto focus with assorted lenses 35to75 , 75to300 , 175to500 . I also use my wife's Pentax small auto with a compact 100mm zoom .

My PZ10 is getting pretty beaten up and I have had some recent problems with dirt and comunucation errors from the 500 lens .... but I take lots of pictures and eventually some turn out ! :lol: :lol:

When I do use my PZ10 the majority of pic's are taken with the 75to300 lens, as it's easier to manage in the tree .

The PZ10 is great if you are planning a long stand in great weather. Also I carry the PZ10 with a long lens if I'm driving / scouting for pictures from the shoulder of the road.

If I can give anyone some advice . Carry a small compact camera with with at least a 100mm auto zoom lens . ( very affordable now a days )

Shoot at least 400 speed film ( I prefer Fuji or Kodak max ) .

And most important ... take tons of shots ! What most people don't realize is that I probably shoot an entire roll of 24 to get 1 or 2 real keepers that are worthy of enlargement.

I bought a small compact digital with tons of features for my daughter on her birthday this November ..... she has a flair for photography as well .

When my PZ10 pooches out , I will eventually go digital as well ....

leonk : that's great .... e-mail me the pic's when you get them , thanks .... PS :This a.m. , on my way into work , I drove by the spot where we got the truck stuck ..... 11 deer in the field , and I almost hit 3 more together on the road while I was gawking in the field ! .... I saw where they were coming into the field .... we will have to plan an ambush for them over the holidays if they hang around !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Again nice pictures R.J., That coyote looks cool, the deer look's neat, but that dang Pheasant makes me hungry.

Grey Owl
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congrats to all and great pics.
Hey R.J, how did you tune down your exomax?
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Grey Owl wrote :
that dang Pheasant makes me hungry.
:lol: :lol: Yep I hear ya . .... but I already have many pheasants in the freezer .... that poor bird was so hungry he let me walk right up to him because he was so determined to get at the corn ..... he is a left over from the realease program ..... unfortunately he will end up being food for a hawk or owl since these pheasants don't winter well here ....

peterp wrote :
Hey R.J, how did you tune down your exomax?
I swapped riser's from a standard Vixen and my Exomax so now I'm shooting speeds closer to the Exomag , and the Vixen is now a Pheonix .
A.W

Post by A.W »

Great pics R.J. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Thanks for sharing R.J. Those are really nice pictures.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.