Saying goodbye

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Saying goodbye

Post by chris4570 »

This Christmas is going to be a little bit lonelier, a little sadder. We had to put our dog down this morning, Dozer. What a great guy he was, made a lot of friends and very few enemies. He gives rottweillers a good name. I'm really going to miss him greeting me with a smile when I come home.

He went down hill real quick, in less than a week. Since Friday he became very weak, anemic, and lost his appetite. The decision was made yesterday, and we made sure he would be surrounded by his family. Friends came by to say goodbye. We cooked him a steak and some venison, unsure if he would even touch it. But he gobbled it down :) !! This morning he would not touch any of the leftovers :( .

Man the house feels so empty right now, even with having another dog. He gave us ten great years of loyalty and friendship.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I know how you feel. We had to put our hound down a year ago, just after Christmas. Thay do become part of the Family. We still have our Lab but she is ageing quick too.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Condolences. It's a great loss.
Unfortunately dog's life is so short :cry:

LK
PRB

Post by PRB »

Sorry about your loss.
I remember very much what your going through.
Here is a poem that I wrote when I was in eighth grade and lost my first dog. I hope that it might in some way help you with your loss.

"My Dog"
My dog was always the best,
Thats what I thought of him I guess.
We fished, hunted, we did everything together,
Cold or hot, any kind of weather.
I loved him, he loved me, we both knew it,
I cant believe the things we did , but we went through it.
I guess dogs dont live forever,
It seems to me like it was never.
But God may his soul rest in peace,
Because I loved him not the least.
I think of him from time to time,
And some nights I feel as if he whines.
I can see him in my dreams through the misty fog,
But, I will always know one thing that I am proud of, and that is:
he was my dog !
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

chris4570 : Man I feel for ya .... been around dogs for many years .... been thru that scene more times than I care to remember .

My condolences on the passing of your good friend !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

My heart goes out to you. Dogs are incredible animals. Mne is 10 and I know I do not have that may more years with him.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Chris sorry about that.........I feel for you too.....take care :(
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Big John

chris4570

Post by Big John »

Well I'm looking at my Best bud right now and telling him, his two favorite words he loves to hear, "Good Boy"! He will look at me with so much excitement and happiness that you just have to play with him! his favorite place is in the woods and up in the bush at my place. I can not even think about saying good bye to him. Everytime I have to say good bye to a friend of mine, I say never again, somehow that only lasts 6 months or so. I cant be without one. I really feel for you, especially at this time of year. I hope you still have a good Xmas and safe new year.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

Deepest sympathy to you and your family, had to put my lab down earlier this summer and I know exactly how you feel.
Hipwader
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Yip, man's best friend can quickly become man's best son or daughter. Haven't owned a dog since I was back on the farm. But I remember when they did die, oohhh lala that was hard on me.

Grey Owl
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Sorry for your loss. Been through a few of them myself, and know how you feel. Best thing to get over it, is get another dog. At least that is what helps me. I lost a shepherd about 4 years ago, and got another. The only mistake, is you when you get the same breed, you tend to compare the dogs. So the next will be a lab or some kind of bird or duck dog. sorry again, Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
butch

Post by butch »

Sorry for your loss. I wouldnt know what to do if I lost my pups. Butch
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Losing a friend is always tough.

Just try and dwell on the fun times and not the last few weeks.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Alaspan

The Loss of A Dog

Post by Alaspan »

I can't imagine - Takoda is my first dog, and truly my best friend - only a year and half, and so many memories. You've got a lifetime of them - hopefully they can help you through the down times. Remember, he's waiting for you on the other side. So sorry my friend.

Take care.
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Chris. Tought to lose a good friend.

I lost my dog many years ago but luckily my sister-in-law is a pretty good artist and did this pic for me...keeps the good memories alive.