Scent-lok????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DesertRat

Scent-lok????

Post by DesertRat »

Ok, after an interesting season where the wind wreaked havoc on me more than once, I have to ask the question. Is scent-lok worth the investment or is it a farce? I play the wind religiously but on several occasions this year it switched suddenly or was the opposite of what they forecast and I got picked off.

So if showering in scent away and washing my clothes in it is not enough, will Scent -lok be the edge I need? I don't always have time or in some cases access to a shower before going out. Can SL help in this kind of situation?

I know everyone's opinion will vary but has anyone worn it and had deer downwind when they know in regular clothing this wouldn't have happened? Any miracle stories out there?
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
speedball

Post by speedball »

Yes its a viable solution to your problems the scent loc along with proper body washing and other cover scents, i like to use a product called deer dander for my boots only it is a great cover scent, speedball..........
gone huntin never to return................

Post by #16 »

I allways play it safe and if the wind changes I leave.
In my opinon all of the scent control things are a farce,if you worry about the wind on some days don't hunt the stand.

YOU WILL NEVER FOOL THEM

Brad

( PS you can take that to the bank)
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Here is an article that gives a technical view about Activated Carbon suits. The article has 2 parts:

http://www.fastestbows/articles/corriga ... _suits.htm

Hope this is of some help.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

shifty

Post by shifty »

I have used mine for a couple of years and can honestly say yes they work and I wont hunt without it. Those who say its a farce obviously dont own one. I took my secound deer on the ground this year while sitting on a chair in a standing corn field. The doe came in from behind me down wind walked around me at fifteen yrds staring at me. When I didnt move and she was sastisfied, she went about her bisness and I gave her an arrow. She went down in fifty yrds. Hope this answers any of your questions. By the way mine is an original scent lok in the savanna series.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

it does work. i was stiining in a stand late one evening and the wind had changed on me and just right at dark a doe came out about 20 yards and feed with the wind still goin her way. the scent lock siut i lke to use the one by scent shield, its light enough you wont sweat to death in it if you hunt in hot weather like we have down here. i have also heard good things about the durry scent lock suite but just remember it still pays to hunt with the wind in your favor.
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

About 5 yrs ago I purchased one of these scent lok suits. What a waste of money. More deer blew at me than ever before. It doesn't work. Read the article.........hard to get 800 degrees from a home dryer to reactivate the carbon, much less it would catch fire.

Was wondering if the guys that claim the suits work, how high are you in your stand, are you in a sealed shooting house, any cover sent used? I have had deer down wind before too and not ever get my sent, with out scent lok. If these really did work we would all be wearing them. :D
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yea Nudo is right on and yes this is a subject we hashed before but.I will say it again cause once i spent my money on them too...It makes a guy to reliante on his carbon suit and you get lazy, thus more deer bust you...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!

Post by #16 »

shifty wrote:I have used mine for a couple of years and can honestly say yes they work and I wont hunt without it. Those who say its a farce obviously dont own one. I took my secound deer on the ground this year while sitting on a chair in a standing corn field. The doe came in from behind me down wind walked around me at fifteen yrds staring at me. When I didnt move and she was sastisfied, she went about her bisness and I gave her an arrow. She went down in fifty yrds. Hope this answers any of your questions. By the way mine is an original scent lok in the savanna series.
Well shifty

There are a lot of B.S products out there and this is another one of them.
If you watch the wind and hunt accordingly you won't need to spent $$$$
on a useless product.

As far as deer walking around you when you are on the ground, well $hit happens all the time.

Brad
Tom

Post by Tom »

Does Sent-Loc work. The answer is YES ......... but not as well as they make you believe. I did an ultimate test using my beagle.

While wearing the suit and rubber boots I was in the woods. My dog which was scent trailing going through the woods went down wind of me, stopped and looked around for me. He knew I was there, but there was not enough scent to tell where I was (the air was still with no wind). Normally when he is alone in the woods and comes across my scent, he would be bedded down shortly beside me until the dogger came to get him.

My dog knew that my scent was in the air, but there was not much scent because he was having trouble figuring out where I was. I believe that this suit could be a good addition, just like washing your clothes in scent free clothing, if you still play the wind and not totally trust it.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

If you decide to get a suit just remember, your dryer is most likely saturated with the smell from your regular laundry detergent and any fabric softener your wife uses (men don't use fabric softener). When you’re activating the carbon in your suit, the smell of your dryer will fill the carbon up with detergent smell and the outside of the suit will also have detergent smell.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Tom wrote :
Does Sent-Loc work. The answer is YES ......... but not as well as they make you believe. I did an ultimate test using my beagle.

While wearing the suit and rubber boots I was in the woods. My dog which was scent trailing going through the woods went down wind of me, stopped and looked around for me. He knew I was there, but there was not enough scent to tell where I was (the air was still with no wind). Normally when he is alone in the woods and comes across my scent, he would be bedded down shortly beside me until the dogger came to get him.

My dog knew that my scent was in the air, but there was not much scent because he was having trouble figuring out where I was. I believe that this suit could be a good addition, just like washing your clothes in scent free clothing, if you still play the wind and not totally trust it.
I agree .... it's not perfect but , I defineately believe it helps ! ... I have had several encounters with deer on the ground while wearing scent lock that have made me a believer ....

I posted this back in 2003 ....

Now from one extreme to another ... this one I call " handcuffed " I had 2 decoys out in front . A doe and fawn were mucking about just to my left . I was so distracted by the doe and fawn I was not prepared when I nice 8 point walked right up behind me . He was so close walking in I thought he was going to walk over my position ! He walked by approx. an arms length upwind on my left side ! I was wearing a scent lock suit hunting from a ground seat . The reason I know he was only an arms length away was because I put my arm up to block as I quick snapped a picture ! There was no way I was going to be able to make a bow move on him but the picture ended up being a great memory !

Now I don't consider myself a " lazy hunter " ...... I have read all the articles ...... But I still say " believe about 50 % of what you read and 100 % of what you actually experience ! "

I use to hunt alot from the ground ..... but in the last 3 or 4 years I like my climber ..... I try to get high and therefore less worry about scent !

I consider my climber , my pop-up blind , my scent lock suit , my range finder , my cover scents , my grunt calls , my decoys etc. all valuable tools in my bag of tricks ..... and I use them when I feel the need !

And remember .. " Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them .... not the the size of the quarry " !

My $0.02
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
shifty

Post by shifty »

I ve been bow hunting for 16 yrs. I think I can tell by now whats bull!@#$ and what isnt And no it hasnt made me a lasy hunter.Maybe some peoples narrow mindedness has limited there hunting success and therefore need to share theyre negativity with the rest of us. All I know is I had very successfull year again. One monster buck and one beutiful doe. And I will keep wearing my scent lok suit. It sertanly isnt hurting my success thats for sure!
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

I have owned a scent lock for 5 years and hunt with it occassionally. I have yet to shoot a deer while wearing an activated carbon suit. However, I did shoot a seven pointer on Nov. 4 at 3 yards in a very favorable slight breeze from 12 feet above the ground. I had showered and washed my hair in scentless soaps and shampoo as well as taken the precaution to be lightly dressed on my walk in to the stand. 25 minutes later it was all over.

I think the article is correct. Let them put them to the test. How fast do the pour fillup when you use cover scent, doe in heat and a variety of other scents. The wind does not blow through them in just one direction. I think they are a rip off but it does not stop me from throwing them in the flower scented dryer and pretending it will help when I am down on my luck. Down on my luck means not paying attention to the deer signs and wind direction.

Kendo Kid.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur