Last Day of the Year Ohio Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Really nice buck, Mike, but bow season goes until the end of January. I'm still chasin' a nice 12 that I've seen 3 times now, but no shot yet.
Thwackem!
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Partikle,
It is not that difficult, with a little practice, and a very sharp blade. It is easier if someone shows you. It all starts (at least for me) at the rear end of the deer. I wear rubber dish washing gloves, stick my finger in the anus, and remove any pellets I can reach. Pinch a little skin, and cut around the inside of the pelvis, until the rectum, and bowle that that is attached to the inside, feels loose. I use a very thin long bladed knife, 4 1/2" to accomplish this. I then flip the animal on it's back, make a small cut near the brisket, put two fingers in the cut and pick up, running my blade between my fingers, being carful not to puncture the bowle. I cut down, till I reach the teets on a doe, and or the balls or spam on a buck. Some states require the spam and testicles be left on, in that case, I just stop there. Turn the deer on it's side, and remove the portion below the diaphram, and if done right, you will be able to reach from the inside and grab everything you cut loose from the outside, and pull it through nice and easy, without getting any urine, or crap on the inside. If it does not pull freely, re-cut around the rectum(on the outside) until free. After that, cut the diaphram free, and this is where the blood comes from, reach up in, as far as you can, and cut the windpipe. At this point, everything will be almost free, with just a few ligiments holding things in. Using caution, not to nick or cut bowle, free things up, and remove guts. Turn deer with chest cavity towards the ground and rear downhill, spread the legs and prop it in the upright position, when possible, and let all the blood drain. I usually do this, while I take my gear to the truck to get the quad or cart. Remember, this is just "field dressing" the animal. In my opinion, there is no reason to open the deer all the way up, in the field. All you do, is drag unwanted dirt and things into the cavity where the inner tender loins are, and you are really not cooling the deer down much, by spliting it open in the field (at least here in the northern reagions, but southern or warmer states, it may be necessary). Once home, that is a different story. Cool it down as quickly as possible. Everyone has there own way, but to me, of course my way is the right way. Nothing looks worse in a photo, than a beautiful animal, even a doe, with their tongues hanging out, in the back of a pickup truck, or hanging in a tree or something. They look much nicer on the ground, with your equipement covering the gut job. Infact I try and take photo's with the guts still in. Just looks better to John Public when your showing your photo's. Remember a non hunter who may be thinking of hunting might see what you are showing, and that just may be enough to sway them to the dark side. Hope this helps. Butcher
Last edited by The Butcher on Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
PRB

Post by PRB »

Congratulations !!!
Is that carve tip limbs ?
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Good job Butcher. What I've been doing these last few years, is once my deer is down and dead, I drag or load it in my Utility trailer and bring it back to camp. I then hang the animal, skin it, then take the guts out. Field dressing it in this manner is so much cleaner and slicker. Unless if the deer is a long way in the bush, then I gut the animal out right there, then go get my trailer. Once the guts are out, I then chuck them in a black garbage bag and discard them far away from out trailer site. We have enough coyotes on our property as it is.

Next year I want to change things even more. Once my deer is back at camp, I'll hang it, skin it, leave the guts in and then debone the deer while its still hanging. What's left is just the bones and carcass with the guts still intact, eliminating any spoilage from urine, feces, or blood.

But your right, leaves, dirt, sticks get into the cavity making it a mess.

Grey Owl

P.S. This will work for young deer only, that doesn't need aging.