Trigger adjustment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Harry Crabtree

Trigger adjustment

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Guys, I'm the proud owner of a Excalibur Exomax as my Christmas present from my wife. My question regards the trigger. Is it adjustable so it wouldn't take quite so much pressure on it? Just curious and thx for your time.
I always get the last words at my house, "Yes Dear"
wabi

Post by wabi »

No adjustments I know of, but a good spray of WD-40 in all the openings around the trigger can sure smooth one up. When I get a new Excalibur I soak the trigger area thoroughly with WD-40 and it seems to help.
wabi
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Thanks. That's good advice.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

well Harry glad the wait is over for ya....ENJOY...like he said wd should do the trick all excals seem to like wd..It shouldnt need any work just lube..

Happy Newyear Harry
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

wabi wrote:No adjustments I know of, but a good spray of WD-40 in all the openings around the trigger can sure smooth one up. When I get a new Excalibur I soak the trigger area thoroughly with WD-40 and it seems to help.
I personally would never use WD40 but would rather use one of the many gun cleaning and lube sprays. WD40 in the world of gun owners is known as a NO NO....My dad has a Remington Pump 270 and it worked fine for years with normal cleaning with gun oil/lube. My uncle took it moose hunting once and used WD40 and when he came back I had to put my whole 240Lbs to close the action.

WD40 seems to work great for the first while but it really atracts the dust and dirt and that is where the problem is.

Good luck...Ryan
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

hell anything thats oily or sticky (doesnt attract) dust and dirt will stick to it...its all in what your use to..sounds like you musta had a rock or pebble stuck in the action to have to force it that much. Mabey even a broken part. I would never put that much force on a firearm you may bend or break somethin in the action tryin to dislodge a small pebble or stone..the wise thing to do is disassemble and clean not rough the action up with 240 lbs of force :shock:
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Hoss wrote:hell anything thats oily or sticky (doesnt attract) dust and dirt will stick to it...its all in what your use to..sounds like you musta had a rock or pebble stuck in the action to have to force it that much. Mabey even a broken part. I would never put that much force on a firearm you may bend or break somethin in the action tryin to dislodge a small pebble or stone..the wise thing to do is disassemble and clean not rough the action up with 240 lbs of force :shock:
I did disasemble the entire action to clean out the mess. There was nothing broken or no rocks or anything..just alot of dust and dirt right in the piston inside. When I put my weight on it there was no binding or anything...just really stiff from build up. I had the whole rifle appart including the triger. I talked to the local gun shop here (Shooters Choice/The Bow Shop) here in Waterloo/Kitchener (almost right next door to Excalibur) and they said that WD40 is the worst thing to use.

About an hour after the cleaning it was better than new and pumped like a dream!!!

Just trying to let everyone know about the cons of WD40 compared to something that is for firearms.

Ryan
bj

Post by bj »

RyanB wrote:
wabi wrote:No adjustments I know of, but a good spray of WD-40 in all the openings around the trigger can sure smooth one up. When I get a new Excalibur I soak the trigger area thoroughly with WD-40 and it seems to help.
I personally would never use WD40 but would rather use one of the many gun cleaning and lube sprays. WD40 in the world of gun owners is known as a NO NO....
i agree 110 % - regardless of what it says in any manual...the newer gun lubes with silicone, such as remoil or g96 will work a whole lot better...wd will gum up over time...i wd'd some bullet casting dies once and about 6 months later i retrieved them for use...it took me quite some time to get rid of the sticky residue that would prevent me from using the dies...it protected them okay, but they were not subject to the elements, and had they been, the dust, dirt and whatever debris that would have accumulated in the sticky mess would have been a nightmare...wd 40 will sure lubricate and may bandaid some issues, but it's kind of like those old fly catchers you hang from the ceiling...if there's anything "flying around" it's going to capture it...sorry, but wd 40 is also a no no in my workshop...
Allan

Post by Allan »

WD40 is great for getting things to loosen, but it drys leaving the surface unprotected.

For the trigger assembley, try a silicon lube. When the "liquid" dries a layer of dry silicon is left behind with no sticky stuff to hold dirt.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I dont use it much anyway .but im glad to learn that the wd is causin problems for some..thats somethin to steer away from for sure..good info guys...you learn somethin everyday like Garyl says..
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

WD-40, is quite often used in the firearm arena, because it protects from rust. It does so, because a scientist in a lab somewhere, who invented it, did so on the 40th try. The WD, stands for Water Displacement. So there you have it, The True, you heard it here second. WD-40 Stands for Water Displacement formula 40. Military used it when I was in, to only wipe weapons down. Not to lubricate them. We used something with teflon in it for that, but forget the exact name of it. I usually use a fine oil, such as Kroil to keep things loose, but in all honesty, I don't use a lot of oil or such on the inside of my firearms just for the lint, dirt build up reason, but clean with alcohol. I will wipe the outside of things with it, but not the inside. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
wabi

Post by wabi »

The WD-40 isn't a long-term lubricant and I didn't imply it was. It is a good way to clean out any dirt, dust, and residue left behind by the factory.
Ryan,
I'll bet the WD-40 didn't create the gunk buildup, it just washed all the crud the oil had left behind loose. I did a similar stunt once by spraying WD on a safe lock. Washed all the dirt into the tumblers and had to have a locksmith open & clean it out.
My Exocet came from the factory with a terrible trigger. Rough & gritty. I washed it out good with WD-40 and it was fine. The only time I use WD-40 is for cleaning or moisture removal. It is not a lasting lubricant or metal protector. If I get caught in the rain when hunting, whether crossbow or gun, I dry things as best I can, then soak it with WD-40 and let it set for a few minutes. I usually spray it with compressed air then, wipe it off and apply a coat of something to provide long-term protection if needed.
wabi
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Ok, learned something new. Will put gun lube on it instead. Thanks for the good advise guys.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i was looking at the trigger and it is possible to shorten the trigger travel required to fire the crossbow by deccreasing the sear engagement with shims but im not sure how safe it would be because theres alot more pressure on it than a guns...
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Thx, then I'll just leave it be. Have my guns down to about 3-4lbs of trigger pull and not sure where the Exomax trigger is but it has to be more than that I'd think. Thx for the advice.