New to xbows...advice please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntem

New to xbows...advice please

Post by huntem »

Greetings to all and thanks in advance to those who reply. As a moderator for http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php I understand how helpful these forums can be.

My situation is rather simple. Been a bow hunter for a long time, been an extremely avid rifle hunter/shooter (like the long range stuff). However, I have this neck problem going on for some time and I am unable to draw my Darton back. I have a spring bear hunt in June and I was planning to go with my bow this year (whacked my bear last year with my smoke pole). Yeah, I could break out a rifle but looking for more.

I am very interested in the excalibur line due to the simplicity of the recurve limbs, ability to change strings if necessary in the field.

Question

Recommended model, WHY?
Poundage recommended 175, 200 or more?
With the mesh from the bug suits, the low light and my bad eyes, I was leaning towards a red dot system. Recommendations?

My local archery shop is closing its doors and the closest dealer that I am aware of is Cabelas in WV. I live south of Pittsburgh. I'd rather give my $$ to a local shop than a big retail store.

Again thanks very much,
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Huntem , Going Excalibur is the right way to go , with a bad neck I would go for the package , scope included , the new Phoenix has 175 pd. which is enough to do what you want .
And welcome to the board , you can learn a lots here .
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I wouldnt use a red dot just because batterys is one more thing i dont need to worry about..IMHO
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
huntem

Post by huntem »

franklinm wrote:the new Phoenix has 175 pd. which is enough to do what you want . .
In terms of speed, trajectory, and aim point, what is the difference when you increase poundage. Is there much difference in 25 or 50 lbs of pull. I know in rifles 200fps isn't a huge difference until after about 280 yards.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Hi!
You might want to check out the arrow performance charts on Excalibur's web site:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/arrow.html

The draw weight isn't ll that important, in my opinion - the arrow performance is.

For example, I can't count how many times I've seen the sage advice that (at last for deer), the difference between the Vixen (150lb) and the Exomag (225) is how far the arrow sticks in the ground after passing through the deer...

There is also another part of Excal's site that may be of interest about choosing a crossbow:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/choose.html

According to that (and what I've seen posted) even the Phoenix should be ok for bear. That is a 175lb model, and practicing would be less strenouous than with an Exomax (225lb), so you're likely to practice more with it.

Note too that some states have a MAXIMUM draw weight of 200lbs, so keep that in mind (PA does, for one).

Good luck - I'm still learning too and this forum is great for us newbies.

-Mike
ted

Post by ted »

Also of note, some states have a minimum poundage, also. Pa is 125 lbs. minimum. I don't know if anyone is considering poundage that low, but it never hurts to cover all the bases.

Ted
huntem

Post by huntem »

Ted

Which pine grove do you live in? There are several in the different counties according to mapquest. I grew up in New Bethlehem near Clarion
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Huntem, I sure even a Vixen would be enough poundage to take a bear. You're likely in a tree stand not more than 25 yards away anyhow. A Phoenix in my mind would be plenty big enough.

Grey Owl
rwk

new

Post by rwk »

Huntem look into your states regs. there might be a poundage limit. In ny. it will be 200lbs, i hope. Rich
huntem

Post by huntem »

Good news and bad

Good is that I purchased my first xbow this evening....the bad not a excalibur flavor.

Before I am outcast from the forum...I was helping a buddy who is closing shop for good by making the purchase with him. BTW he was a dealer of excalibur. Good for me is he gave me one heck of a deal on a bow. I never thought these bows regardless of brand are this accurate.

I am so excite to actually hunt with it this saturday after some serious shooting after work.

Crossbows hunting is one world that I never knew a whole lot about.....this stuff is awesome.
ted

Post by ted »

huntem wrote:Ted

Which pine grove do you live in? There are several in the different counties according to mapquest. I grew up in New Bethlehem near Clarion
I live in the Pine Grove in Schuylkill County. I am about 45 minutes north of Harrisburg.

Ted