Info. on crossbow yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wade

Info. on crossbow yards

Post by wade »

Can someone tell me what kind of yards a 200 pound Xbow will reach.
Looking at buying one, the dealer said you can kill a deer at 100 yards accurately. I find this hard to believe, unless Xbows have come a long ways in the last few years.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

100 yards!.... Your dealer has alot to learn about crossbows if that's what he thinks!... Not to mention his misleading you. A crossbow is not made to shoot at live game 100 yards out. Man, I've been hunting with a crossbow going on 20 years this season and my longest shot ever was 40 yards. But I must admit, I like to keep the shots at no further than 30 yards. In the past 3 years I've killed 11 deer with my crossbow, out of them 11 deer the furthest one was shot at 20 yards.
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
mikew

Post by mikew »

A 200lb ccrossbow is no more effective at ethically taking game than a 150lb bow.

In either case, 100yds is WAY too far.

Deer are jumpy and shots should be close - same as with a vertical bow.

Taking game cleanly by any means should be every hunter's aim and 100yds with an arrow isn't even in the ballpark.

Basically, there's too much risk the deer (or rany other large game animal) will move when the bolt is in flight and a poor hit is likely.

Sorry if this come across strongly, but it's what I think and I reckon everyone else here would agree.

Cheers and good luck,
-Mike
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

You can shoot a deer at 100 yards if it is DEAF, BLIND, DUMB, and ALREADY DEAD.

30 yards is my maximum. I shot a buck this year at about 15 yards and I hit him a little high. He was on full alert and I beleive I hit him high because he ducked a bit when he heard the string. Their reation time is incredible if they are alert.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
A.W

Post by A.W »

40 yards max on a good day. Your dealer is trying to make a sale on wrong information. Try another dealer that's more trustworthy. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
huntman

Post by huntman »

This can be a real touchy topic becuase some beleive in different distances for an accurate kill however, 100 yards is outrageous!!!
Tom

Post by Tom »

A.W wrote:40 yards max on a good day. Your dealer is trying to make a sale on wrong information. Try another dealer that's more trustworthy. :wink:
Either that dealer truely does not know much about crossbows, or he is purposly trying to misslead you. Either way I think I would try to find someone else to sel me my bow.

Just my opinion, but I want to have a trustworthy relationship with the people I purchase my hunting tools with.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ch312

Post by ch312 »

would there be enough KE at 100 yards for the bolt to penetrate enough?

if there was no wind and the deer was very relaxed and was eating out of a feeder so it likely wouldnt move you could hit the deer if you had the range perfect and your scope adjusted for that range.

40yards is the max for me though. shooting that far can be done but its like shooting prairie dogs at 1000 yards with a .223...conditions must be perfect.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Sounds like was just trying to sell you a crossbow.

How would one aim at anything at 100 yards?

My scope doesn't have yardage marks for that distance and I don't like to "aim at air"..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Woody Williams wrote:
How would one aim at anything at 100 yards?

I've never even tried it on a chunk of foam so I can't answer that one, but at 100 yards, I imagine you would have to aim about 15-20 feet above the intended target... Now, that would be called a "Hail Mary".... Not advisable!....
Ontario Trophy Bucks
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I have read on this site that it will drop a moose at 60 yards,but I haven't tried it and that is because tha moose will not move fast like the deer.I have targeted at 60 yards with my Paradox and have no problem hitting in the killzone just useing my fiberoptics.As far as kenetic energy goes,my bolts have to be over 400 grains so I would think I would have a better chance then most x-bows useing the lighter bolts to get them out that far.I did loose a deer this year(the guys allready swore at me for that) when I made a shot over 40 yards,it jumped and I hit it in the south end,no blood trail to follow,it's not a good feeling.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

At first I thought you were joking or just trying to get the guys here going, especially on your first post.

But I truly believe some people will try to pull off a shot at that distance. I'm in with the rest of the guys, NO WAY.

I won't try highjack your post Wade, about telling the story from a guy I heard about trying a much further shot with a compoud bow, I'll start another post later.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Grey Owl
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

new paradox wrote:I have read on this site that it will drop a moose at 60 yards,but I haven't tried it and that is because tha moose will not move fast like the deer.....
The moose has a bigger kill zone. That may make it a bit more forgiving. I wouldn't bet the farm, though, as to how much "slower" as moose would be. They look big and clumsy. They may not be as likely to be intimidated by sounds, such as a bow firing. Maybe.

However, it's their large size that makes them appear slow. They aren't slow. Neither are elk.

So, long distance shots, much past 30 yards, are getting iffy. Because they are bigger animals they aren't likely to be able to dodge a bolt entirely. That doesn't mean you will get a clean kill, and that should be the goal of every bow hunter.

In my opinion, the same distance restraint should apply, whether it is moose, elk, or deer.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
wade

Post by wade »

Thanks Guys, I now can can tell him Bull S???, as I to was thinking he was trying to make a Quick sale.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Well, i certainly wouldn't take a shot at game out to that distance. Or even half that distance!

Sounds like that dealer was confusing FITA equipment with hunting equipment. 90 meters is a common distance for FITA tournaments.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see Excaliburs in FITA tournaments.
Afterall, they are recurves!
The only issue i would have is giving-up the camo pattern for the all white attire.