Any opinions on the EXOMAX?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jackhunter

Any opinions on the EXOMAX?

Post by Jackhunter »

I'm in the market for a new crossbow and I'm interested in the EXOMAX. Does any one out there have one, and what do you think of it? Does it have all that power it claims it has? Is it as accurate as the other models?

Thanks

Mario
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I am lucky enough to work in an archery pro shop which deals in many diff, makes of crossbows. I have shot them all , and all have there good poin, but the raw power and tack driveing accurcy of the MAX is what impresed me , and decide to buy one . I have had it almost a year now and have done some modifications , such as TEFLON coating the rail , getting a wood stock and some trigger work . it is the only crossbow I will hunt with were legal , some states have a poundage limit of 200 pounds , in that case the EXOCET 200 would be my choice , I have one on layaway now , because one state I hunt has that limit. Make sure you can handle it first , it does take some strength to cock it . I would say it is every thing advertised and more!! But remember it does take practice , just like any other bow to become a confident shooter and hunter . I hope that answers some of your questions. GREYWOLF
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/ ... ics001.jpg[/img][/img]
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

How did you teflon coat the rail? Does it last or really make a difference?

I have a Max too and since the season is over and I'm going to keep it I think I'm going to get a wood stock made for it.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D A friend of mine owns a medical tool coating.co theTEFLON is sprayed on then baked for 30 minutes. There is a real differance , If you look at the rail surface under a microscope , it looks like the surface of the moon !! after coating , it's smoothas glass, I gained between 3 and 5 f.p.s. with a lot less string ware and bolt ware . I have around 350 shots thru mine since coating and NO WARE !! . If any one is interested E-MAIL me only for more details and cost's GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
JCB

Post by JCB »

Jackhunter: I just got the Exomax and it does have the accuracy claimed for it. It is a lot more accurate than my old PSE Crossbow, but more than that is the trajectory--this thing shoots so fast and flat that for all practical purposes it shoots a straight line out to about 25 yards. Of course I realize that in actuality this "straight line" is really a very gradual arc. But for hunting purposes, this arc is so gradual that your aimpoint would not matter much between 20 and 30 yards--I still hit the circle on my target and come within the vitals area on a deer. I have not shot it enough at longer ranges to tell you anything about that. But I can tell you that you don't want to shoot it at any distance less than about 20 yards when you sight it in--because if you do, it is so powerful that the field tip and the glued-in aluminum anchor that the tip screws into will both fly right out of the arrow as it pokes through the back side of the target block! That's right, it has so much velocity after passing through the BlackHole target block that the field tip and the broadhead came right off the arrow too! I found the broadhead on the ground about 20 ft away.

I wanted to get close for my first shot (since I had no idea where the arrow would impact) so I shot it at about 10-12 yards. It knocked the BlackHole block over and the field tip has never been seen again!

So, when you sight in that EXOMAX, better back up a little--unless you want the head to pop off the arrow!

I get the very strong impression that the Exomax could pass through a deer lengthwise if it hit no bone. I would never take a lengthwise shot or any shot where I though I might hit big bone--but there is no lack of power in the Exomax. The real question is: Can the arrow and broadhead stand up to the power of the Exomax?
Archery Season is so long--I had to buy a Crossbow!
exocet

Post by exocet »

Yep, here in Pennsylvania we have a 200 pound limit, so I am buying the Exocet or I would have bought the Exomax. Jack.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I had an exomax, and bought it before I knew there was a weight limit in pa. and loved it. I traded it off when I found I was hunting illegal. I got a new phoenix. The verdict is not in on it yet, I'm having a few problems with it, and am in the process of getting them worked out. It is eating strings, and the trigger is not near as good as my max was. In fact, it is the worst trigger I have ever felt, with tons of creep. But I'm sending it away for some work this week. I'm sure it will be fine. If I could do it all over, I really hate to say it, but I'd keep the max or go with the exocet 200 instead. As I said eariler, I loved my max, accurate, and oh the speed. I think I'm the only one out there, who is not real happy with my Phoenix. Live and learn. Problem is, I lost too much on the max, (should have sold it outright) that I have too much in the Phoenix right now to get rid of it. As before, live and learn. Just be careful, and buy what is legal. I have found that most states, if there is a weight restriction, it is 200 lbs. I think I'd buy the exocet 200, and not worry about it anymore. If I can save the cash, I may keep the phoenix for my daughter, and buy myself a new Exocet 200. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Digger

Post by Digger »

The Butcher, If you really liked the Max, all you had to do offer to trade your riser from the max for a machined pre-2004 riser and cash. You'd have a Emag and a 200 lb xbow.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Digger wrote:The Butcher, If you really liked the Max, all you had to do offer to trade your riser from the max for a machined pre-2004 riser and cash. You'd have a Emag and a 200 lb xbow.
Ayep got that right fer sure. The Max has got one heck of a heavy trigger I must say, mine has not got much better with about 100 shot's thru it.

As fer the poundage like I tole you all, first line on rail = 200 LB :wink: 2nd line = 225LB :wink: :roll: :twisted: lest that's what I will be telling them if I should get checked Image :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D You are 100 % right Gary , not many wardens carry a scale, to check it out. and that distance is about right But since most of us have more than one, we just use the right one for each place we hunt. As the Wife say's BIG BOYS WITH TOO MANY TOYS. GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Digger,
I did not know about all the rail swithching, and being new to the crossbow scene and all, well you know, I'm just stupid about such things. I found I could buy a new rail for $60. That made no sense to me, because if I buy a new rail, the company would loose money because I bought a rail, and not a whole new bow. Greywolf, as for the wardens carrying a scale, I love my right to hunt, and really try to follow the rules. To me if I lost my priviledge to hunt, it would kill me, so I'm not chancing it. I'm what you would call a legal eagle. I like a heavy trigger on the xbow. I like it to supprise me when it goes off. That's what makes me a better shot with one. When you have creep, or is that creap? I may be a creep with creap, anyway, I hate it. It carries over from my rifles, I like them to break clean like glass. My max, had that. My Phoenix, it seems like you pull it a half an inch, then it stops, then it is ok. I don't like that half inch slide till the trigger is good. As for toys, I have a weakness for varmint guns, and collect Unertl scopes. The're not cheap. I could buy 2 Phoenix's for what I pay for a Unertl. But in the long run, I'll get more out of my scopes. I just need one crossbow, because not many people in this area even like them, so there are no shoot and things. This is the only place I can talk crossbows. I love this site, and most of you guys, are a great source of info. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
gad

Re: Any opinions on the EXOMAX?

Post by gad »

Jackhunter wrote:I'm in the market for a new crossbow and I'm interested in the EXOMAX. Does any one out there have one, and what do you think of it? Does it have all that power it claims it has? Is it as accurate as the other models?

Thanks

Mario
The only opinion that I have about the exomaX is: my wife jealous my exomaX.

Its a gret bow. Powerfull as advertised (chrony tested in my case) and amazing accurate. What more someone else may needs?
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED