Crossbow noise question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

htoler

Crossbow noise question

Post by htoler »

Anyone ever use any of the noise or vibration dampening systems used for compound and other bows such as limbsavers ans string leaches??
if so did they help any??
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
mikew

Post by mikew »

I've heard string leeches will blow apart in short order and are not worth it.

As for noise dampening systems other than the dissipator bars, some say yes, some say no.

While some think noise reduction is necessary, others feel the speed loss from any "extra" noise reduction is worse.

There's an interesting article on the possibility of string jump on the Horizontal Bowhunter site that has been referenced before that may be of interest too:

http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=22
(look at String Jump Solutions)

I think though the chances of reducing noise enugh that game can't hear the crossbow are next to nothing. Getting close to your quarry is the best "medicine".

Hope that helps,
-Mike
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

as one of the guys said a while back, if your bow is noisy get ear plugs,,,,,,if it shoots 300 fps + or _ at 30 yards the buck or doe is dead ,they just dont know it yet.

hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
JCB

Post by JCB »

Actually, Crossbows aren't near as noisy as what I'm used to shooting...Rifles!

I have seen deer crouch quickly at the sound of a noise, so try to not aim too high; but I doubt that a deer is going to lurch out of the shot in the vitals before an Exomag bolt gets there with shots under 35 yards.
Archery Season is so long--I had to buy a Crossbow!
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Last October 29th, I had a 2x3 travel beneath my API Telescoping Packmaster to give me a 10 to 12 yard shot at an approximate 75 to 80 degee down angle. I saw the bolt hit the buck and and the ground at the same time I heard the string stop. What sound there was didn't make one ounce of difference with the speed my bolt was traveling. The buck was hit before the sound got there as far as I am concerned.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

The noise generated from my Excalibur bows has never been a problem for me !

However; it may have been a little different for my game animals which were harvested by them.

It does not matter how much or little noise there is, because once they hear it; the bolt has ( hopefully) passed right thru them!

Other than that; who really needs to be concerned about a trivial noise problem !

Oneshot.......
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

Speed of sound is 1087 feet per second. My crossbow won't shoot a bolt anywhere near that fast. The animals reaction depends on what state its in. If relaxed it might just look for the source of sound. If already spooked it will jump (drop down before it jumps) to get the heck out of there.

I want my equipment as quiet as I can get it.. Any little bit is an improvement as far as I'm concerned. Whiskers, Limb savers, moleskin etc.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Masterhunter your correct in saying that what matters is the state of awearness that it is in. What alot of people do not realize is that no matter now quiet you make your bow, the arrow will still make alot of noise.

I truely believe that trading speed (adding noise reducers) to make the bow more quiet does very little because of the noise your arrow makes. IF you ever get the chance to stand downrange (saftely behind a safe structure) listen to the sounds like a deer will. It will surprise you that you will hear the arrow more than the bow. Now feather fletching is louder then veins, but both are noisy. Your choice of hunting heads will also add noise. Different heads have different shapes and cut outs in the blades all adding different air currents to be cut from the blades.

This is why most people will keep thier shots to a very respectable 30 - 40 yards or less depending on the bow and it's speed. At those distances, a deer that is only reacting to sound only has very little time to react before the arrow gets there. With a arrow traveling @ 325fps, the arrow will get to 20 yards in less than 2 tenths of a second. When you try to factor in the time the sound takes to get to the deer, and then the time for the deer to react, I bet that it would be about equal or very close. So at that distance, sound would not matter.

Now if the deer is looking at you, it has a good chance to see movement, either your movement during shooting, or even the limbs movement. This increases the deer reaction time because light travels faster then sound.

In my opinion, speed is more important then eliminating the sound from your bow, because you will never totally eliminate the sound from your bow let alone the arrow. They can hear what we can't. Just keep your shots respectable and there should be no problem.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
exocet

Post by exocet »

I shot by buddies Exocet and getting one myself, and I thought it was pretty quiet. I shot at 20 yards and it seamed as though the second I pulled the trigger, the arrow was in the target. I will keep my shooting at no more than 30 yards and on the ground. I don`t care for tree stands myself. Jack.
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Just as most people have said as long as your not shooting out past 30 yards a deer will have very very little time to react
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Digger

Post by Digger »

I use wooden stocks and stabilizers to keep the noise and vibration to a minimum. 8)

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity