Crossbows in Louisiana

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fireemt124

Crossbows in Louisiana

Post by Fireemt124 »

This is my first post here, There is a push to legalize crossbows for everybody in Louisiana. Although I do not own a crossbow I am in favor of this. The questions I have are this. For those states that have recently allowed crossbows, have you seen an increase in the number of hunters. Do you have to purchase an extra permit for them and has that generated more revenue. There is strong opposition by the archery organizations here and all the facts we can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
A.W

Post by A.W »

This wont answer your questions but will give you some info for any research you may want to do.

http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=53
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

Thanks A.W., Luckily DJH is on board with us and has given us some valuable information. Hopefully I can get some info from those who have had similar experiences. Great link though. 8)
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

^^^
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

http://nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Foru ... 00657.html

There are three threads on the crossbow subject. Check it out.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Ive looked but cant find our states statistics for 2005. I remember having a conversation with one of the Wildlife Resource agents and before the season was over he said that there was an increase in hunters due to sales in hunting licenses I believe he said.
No special permit needed for TN. just hunting license.
Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

Thanks PRB, I've offered compromises and tried to talk sense, but they are dead set against it. Did Tenn. have this problem getting crossbows legalized. I am having a hard time because frankly I am still very uninformed on this issue. Kind of learning as I go. Hard to debate with limited knowledge.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

well i havent seen any increase here in georgia. thats what the vertical bow hunters claiming whould happen here to. to many hunters in the woods not knowing what to do and taking risky shots at deer and not being able to recoverr them. i been shooting one since 1991 way before they were leagl here in ga but i did have the permit for it. but back then it was just to much of a hasle to hunt because of the traditional bow hunters bening snoty about what i used for deer hunting. when they did make it leagal here in ga for all with no permit thier was a big rush but then it died down. what got most people is that they think they can take a real long shot with it. its just like the vertical bow in a way with the yardage dont shoot over 40 yards. yeah you can get away with a long shot but thats up to the shooter. since your from louisiana you know how hot it can get hunting deer with the reagluar archery season. our season runs from sept thru oct and tis down rght nasty with the bugs and the heat and snakes. sorry about my rambilng i hth you out i woud like to see all 50 states make it leagal for crossbows
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

GA.crossbowhunt wrote:well i havent seen any increase here in georgia. thats what the vertical bow hunters claiming whould happen here to. to many hunters in the woods not knowing what to do and taking risky shots at deer and not being able to recoverr them. i been shooting one since 1991 way before they were leagl here in ga but i did have the permit for it. but back then it was just to much of a hasle to hunt because of the traditional bow hunters bening snoty about what i used for deer hunting. when they did make it leagal here in ga for all with no permit thier was a big rush but then it died down. what got most people is that they think they can take a real long shot with it. its just like the vertical bow in a way with the yardage dont shoot over 40 yards. yeah you can get away with a long shot but thats up to the shooter. since your from louisiana you know how hot it can get hunting deer with the reagluar archery season. our season runs from sept thru oct and tis down rght nasty with the bugs and the heat and snakes. sorry about my rambilng i hth you out i woud like to see all 50 states make it leagal for crossbows
Hey don't apologize for the ramblin. Being new to this I am interested in finding out all I can. Thank you for your post and your help.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I would like to help you but I am in Florida on vacation and don't have access to my files.

When I get back in two weeks I'll send you some info..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

Thanks Woody, be looking forward to hearing from you.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Here in PA there is a large outcry from Bowhunters to keep Crossbows from being legally used during Archery season here. They say unfair and too many hunters. Now, if you are disabled and you have the permit you can use one. Also, near Pittsburgh and Philly anyone can use one. I am trying to push for it to be legalized for all, but not getting very far. Remeber, Compound Bow hunters took alot of heat many years ago to use them legally and now it is just normal for them. I believe Crossbows will be accepted in time, it just takes persistance and patience. Jack.
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

Jack, your not kidding there. If you've been to the TNUSA website, you'll see the opposition we are facing on just the small scale. I know there is lots more out there. But we made the committment to be in it for the long haul.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Sell it as just another choice in archery hunting gear.

NO ONE will be forced to use one. Only the people that WANT to use one will take it up.

Even then, since most of the hunting ground in LA is privately owned, a landowner can also say no to crossbows.

IOW - Very few will be affected except those that want to be.

If a push comes to shove go for the crossbow to be used on private ground only. Then NO ONE will have a sqauwk.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Fireemt124

Post by Fireemt124 »

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=274604

Seems the debate has moved to here. Bayou State Bowhunters Association has called for support against the legalization of crossbows. I am a bowhunter, but right now I am ashamed to admit it listening to these guys talk about crossbows.