Pit blinds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rutman

Pit blinds

Post by rutman »

How many of you have used a pit blind and what do you tink of them?
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Never but I think they are neat.
Sure would be a lot warmer and maybe a lot more quiet but possibly limited view :roll:
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
BUCKSLAYER

ttt

Post by BUCKSLAYER »

i guess it would cover your scent better also,i seen one in the woods were i hunt in penna but i never tried it out,,would also be warmer and you wouldnt be seen ..
RayGunter

Post by RayGunter »

years ago I hunted a place in Texas. No Trees climable. Had mesquit about 8 foot high but you could see excelent down next to the ground up to about 3 feet. I found an old caved in root cellar from a long gone homestead. Fixed me a place to set a chair and worked just fine.
Thanks,
Ray
[url=http://www.huntingfootage.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=782]Some short clips from my InfraRed Video Gamecam[/url]
Normous

Post by Normous »

A few years back I dug a small ground pit in a fresh cut corn field approx.30 yards from a corner bush edge.A small collapsible shovel made it easy.Partial sharpened cornstalks dug into the ground around the pit assisted in my concealment.
The buck didn't know the kid was in town.The buck was now down.
Ya :D :D groud blinds do work.
eNORMous
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
rutman

Post by rutman »

I was going to try digging a 4x7 hole with a backhoe and deep enough that you could sit comfortably with your shoulder of choice above ground level. Then using 2x4s and a old sheet of 3/4 plywood build a cover or roof for it just high enough to belly into on the side facing the field edge. What are your thought's? Maybe cover it with some brush to avoid anyone ever falling in?
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
PRB

Post by PRB »

That sounds good rutman.
It will be 3 to 5 years before my site is established enough with clover, fruit trees, and cover, but Im contemplating building a small block shooting house right on top of the ground with four windows. Im not sure where I want to locate it yet if I do this. The block would be sealed with UGL Drylok. Fold down plexi glass windows on the inside and treated wood on the outside of the windows to protect the plexi glass in the off season. I want the roof pitched to a center point where there will be a pvc pipe through the roof and secured. The pipe should be between 20 to 30 feet high and should allow any interior heat and human smells to be dispersed high into the air :roll:
Im only considering this option because it will be a family hunting house on our small property close to food plot area. The main goal will be harvest meat from the kills and enjoy the thrill of our two young boys as they get theyre deer :D
Just a thought for you :idea:
rutman

Post by rutman »

Sounds like your in a bit of a conumdrum. Your young food plot area not fully established to let you know where the deer will enter and exit. It would be nice to have your hunt house built for a long time so deer have a chance to get use to it. When you build it consider putting another pipe into a 5 gallon pale full of stone about 3ft. underground. There is nothing worse than nature calling at primetime. With more than one in a stand or blind the problem is compounded. Whatever you use for a urinal has to have a sealed lid to keep the scent in.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Thanks for the fencing idea as well BSTOUT!
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thats a good idea rutman. Especially since I LOVE coffee.
I hope to meet with a guy from the Dept of Ag. someday in the next couple of weeks to get some suggestions on the current/ future plot and he is suppose to be accompanied with a co-worker or friend who he thinks will help more from the hunting aspect of it (stand placement).
rutman

Post by rutman »

You should try entering this search! wildlife food planting guide for the southeast. It has a whole book download that is awesome. They seem to suggest well fertilzed kale and rape around here urea white clover and canola works wonders.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Wow :shock: I entered it and lots and lots of good reading on there. I will save that information.

If you make the hole in the ground like you was speaking of then do you think it would be a problem with snakes or spiders or do you plan on putting something up against the dirt on the inside ?
rutman

Post by rutman »

If it turns out to be productive then I will line it with gelcoated plywood. I liked the idea of everyone posting what they shoot. That might embarrass some non xcal users though.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
MichiganBill

More pit blind info

Post by MichiganBill »

I thought about building a pit blind on my own property. Have done a ton of research on it too. At the end of the day, the negatives probably outweigh the positives such as moisture, lack of visablity and bad location (they are pretty hard to relocate). Oh yes, did I mention moisture??

But if you're still going to go foward with this idea, here is the cat's pajamas of pit blinds. It's sold by a company out of Texas and maufactured by a plastics company in Indiana. http://www.covenant-ranch.com/?machobucks

It is a pre-manufactured, 2-man pit blind constructed out of thick gauge plastic. You dig a hole, drop it in, camo it up and you're ready to go. They are popular in parts of Texas where they have no big trees to hand stands and tripods stand out too visible to game.

I saw it in use on a hunting TV show and it really looked fun. Not cheap though. If I recall, it was about $1000 us. For me, I rather pay the $$ and be dry, plus be able to relocate the thing if it turns out to be a bad spot, than to be wet and cold and not see any animals.