Phoenix for Moose?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TC

Phoenix for Moose?

Post by TC »

Hi. Is the phoenix good enough for Moose? I just wanted to know. I might be going this fall, and would limit my shots to no more than 40yds. shooting goldtips & 125grs slicktricks :twisted: .Thanks.TC
BigBear

Re: Phoenix for Moose?

Post by BigBear »

TC wrote:Hi. Is the phoenix good enough for Moose? I just wanted to know. I might be going this fall, and would limit my shots to no more than 40yds. shooting goldtips & 125grs slicktricks :twisted: .Thanks.TC
Hi...I would have to say more than yes...The phoenix has more than enough to take bullwinkle at 40yds :twisted: ....just like any excal, shot placement is the most important..hope this helps..BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
Tom

Post by Tom »

Here is a link to a post from last fall of a moose taken by an older vixen. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ight=moose

When I first started with a crossbow over 22 years ago, they said that a 150lb crossbow was way more than enough for a moose. It does not matter weither you have a 150 or 225lb bow, if you hit the wrong place, you will probually not recover the moose. Shoulders will stop any arrow. Shot placement is the most important aspect to any hunting.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I have never shot a moose yet but I go with my 175# exocet with no worries at all.
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Here's a pic I found on the forum...He's a member on here too 8)

Schnarrfuss, nice Moose BTW!

Looks like a 2117 weighing in at about 435grs. or so at about 264fps..
(67 lbs KE)

reading his post, the bolt penetrated this Bull from almost stem to stern..

Phoenix with about 390grs. would do about 298fps, for about 77 lbs (KE).

Although I would'nt shoot this far...you would still retain 65 lbs (KE) @ 50 YDS :shock:
They say that 42-65 Lbs (KE) is needed for large game such as Elk/Moose and Large Bears..Shot placement is the key with any hunting tool...

All Excals are great, that's for sure..I know, I love mine :D

Good luck...BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
alces

Post by alces »

Here is a link to a post from last fall of a moose taken by an older vixen. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ight=moose
I just thought you might want to know that this Moose was officially scored at 221 inches. Which would probably make this the largest Moose ever taken with a crossbow.

Eric