How many years ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

How many years ?

Post by PRB »

Just wanting to see how many years some of you have with shooting crossbow only.
Myself around 2 1/2 years.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
mikew

Post by mikew »

A whopping Zero!

....just got the bow, and haven't even bought bolts yet. :D

I have several years of vert archery experience though not shooting vert anymore.

-Mike
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

less then a year. But Ihad been vert hunting for about 30 years Although now its going to be only xbow in the future.
SNORTIN HORTON
buckman

Post by buckman »

This was my first season. Fired 2 shots killed 2 deer. I had a great time.
Can't wait till next OCT.

Buckman
wabi

Post by wabi »

PRB,
Shooting the crossbow only?
It's early AM, and I'm not saturated with coffee yet, but am I reading it right? If it means how many years of hunting with only a crossbow, I'm afraid I have only a few when the shoulder problem was at it's worse. I still use my longbow some, and would have to point out that if I used only one type of bow I might get an elitist attitude :lol:
The crossbow has become a very important part of my hunting equipment, but to limit my hunting style to one choice of legal equipment would restrict the hunting methods too much to suit me. The crossbow can't be beat for my tree-stand and much of my ground blind hunting where I'm stationary and the game's doing the walking, but when I still-hunt the longbow is still my pick for launching arrows. I pick the bow that fits the planned hunting method, and I'm not limited to the method that fits the bow I'm stuck with these days. Since I've had the shoulder problem diagnosed by a physician, and found with a simple medication (ibuprofen as an anti-inflamatory) I can now again shoot my stick bows if I hold draw weights under 50 pounds, I have rediscovered the joy of carrying such a simple means of flinging arrows. No need for a range-finder, the bow is very light weight, and accuracy is great if I limit range. After close to 50 years of slinging arrow with one, I can look at a target and tell instantly if I have a chance of hitting it or not, so shot selection is easy for me.
I still use the crossbow, and would hate to try a season without it, but it's not perfect for all conditions and situations, so I don't limit my bowhunting to a crossbow only. Just yesterday evening I packed it to a new location and set up at the base of a huge oak tree with a simple folding seat and roll-up ground blind for a couple of hours. No deer showed up, but I had turkeys flying up to roost all around me (and it won't be long 'till spring season! - guess where I'll be looking :wink: ) The crossbow would have been the best choice for that situation if a deer had shown up. I was stationary, had pre-ranged distances to likely shooting points, and would have had plenty of time to determine if a shot was possible if a deer had come through. On the walk out if rapidly failing light I did walk up on a doe feeding under an oak on top of a ridge about 40 or 50 yards away. She was totally unaware of my presence, and busy feeding, but it was getting too dark to judge range effectively or see the view in the rangefinder clearly. If I'd have been carrying my longbow I might have been able to close the range a little and try a shot. (I wouldn't have as the light was going quickly, and legal hunting time was probably past) But chances for making a good shot on her would have been better with my longbow than with my Phoenix had conditions been right to try a closer stalk.
OK - rambled enough!
What I'm saying is the crossbow is great, but it isn't the only way for many people to hunt. Pick the equipment that fits the planned hunt, or plan the hunt to fit the equipment you own - but don't try to make one method fit all situations!
wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

:oops: Got carried away and didn't answer the question :lol:
I've been seriously hunting with a crossbow for 5 or 6 years now, and have at least one deer every season with it.
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks for all the replies.
wabi wrote::oops: Got carried away and didn't answer the question :lol:
I've been seriously hunting with a crossbow for 5 or 6 years now, and have at least one deer every season with it.
No problem wabi. The question is misleading.
Maybe the question should be
1) Years of vertical experience
2) Years of crossbow experience
Either is fine with me :wink:
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

38 years with a vertical bow and a whopping less than 1 with an xbow. They were not legal here till this year. Now I have 4 xbows! LOL
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

30 years with a vertical - 1 month with an xbow. I got the Phoenix and am really impressed with the accuracy. I think the more I use it the more I am going to like it. Need to keep the vert though as I have been planning on hunting a military base that does not allow xbows yet.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have been using my exomag for 4 years and previous to that a older barnette for 3 years! So i guess it's been 7 years with an x-bow
Normous

Post by Normous »

1)17 years vertical, and
2)15 years Excalibur hunting

= total of 32 great years!!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
GREY OWL