Feathers, or Vanes?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigBear

Feathers, or Vanes?

Post by BigBear »

Hi guys..I just finished doing up some GT's with 4" feathers..I'm going to cut them down to 18.5" and use some brass inserts..(only did 2 bolts)..just because i'd like to try them out first before doing up more :twisted: ..(this is my Phoenix setup)..

What is your choice..feathers, or vanes?
Thanks in advace..BB :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

My choice is now vanes.I've used feathers out of my Excal. for the first 13 years but weather,bush travel and targets sometimes got the best of them.2005 I went to vanes and find them more durable for my hunting and shooting pusuits.Vanes get my nod.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Feathers fer sure, like the way the fly.... Have never had a problem with them. In wet weather I just cover them, but do carry a couple vaned arrows just in case. Feathers get my Nod 100%
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

GaryL wrote:Feathers fer sure, like the way the fly.... Have never had a problem with them. In wet weather I just cover them, but do carry a couple vaned arrows just in case. Feathers get my Nod 100%
:D :D :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
rutman

Post by rutman »

I have always used vanes for hunt durability. You don't have to hit a penny at 30yrds!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

rutman wrote:I have always used vanes for hunt durability. You don't have to hit a penny at 30yrds!
I agree..but sometimes you do :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
rutman

Post by rutman »

I guess if your shooting wild turks out to 30! or in an archery competition.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Did some testing today with the Phoenix. I used feathers and vanes with field tips and also 85 and 125 grain Montec G5's.
The feathers shot better from my bow. The most accurate results from my bow was the turkey feathers used with the Montec 85 grain.
The 2" Blazer vanes performed pretty good but I do prefer the turkey feathers over them for now. I would like to do some more testing some day soon. My FOC with the 18" Gold Tip Laser II, brass insert, feathers, Montec 85 grain was 15.5%
I might go back to vanes later but I really need more testing. BigBear have you shot them feathers yet ?
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

PRB wrote:Did some testing today with the Phoenix. I used feathers and vanes with field tips and also 85 and 125 grain Montec G5's.
The feathers shot better from my bow. The most accurate results from my bow was the turkey feathers used with the Montec 85 grain.
The 2" Blazer vanes performed pretty good but I do prefer the turkey feathers over them for now. I would like to do some more testing some day soon. My FOC with the 18" Gold Tip Laser II, brass insert, feathers, Montec 85 grain was 15.5%
I might go back to vanes later but I really need more testing. BigBear have you shot them feathers yet ?
Hi PRB..no testing as of yet...but shooting feathers before, i'm sure they well fly just great 8) ...i'm shooting GT's at 18.5grs with a front brass insert, and 100gr slick tricks..(385-387grs) total weight...
I also found that feathers are much easier to fletch than vanes :shock:
They turned out just great...
When I test them, I'll let you know :wink: ..BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
footed shaft

Post by footed shaft »

Let me know if/when you need more feathers PRB,hopefully these will arrive quicker than the first bunch did :roll: .Bill
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I've heard that feathers, although a bit noiser, tend fly a tad better, and thus are a tad more accurate than vanes.

However, having personally shot and hit three grouse at 16, 21, and 32 yards using vanes, I haven't found the need to try feathers.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
PRB

Post by PRB »

BigBear wrote: Hi PRB..no testing as of yet...but shooting feathers before, i'm sure they well fly just great 8) ...i'm shooting GT's at 18.5grs with a front brass insert, and 100gr slick tricks..(385-387grs) total weight...
That sounds great. Let us know how it turns out :D Your not by chance having fun are you ??? :wink:
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

PRB wrote:
BigBear wrote: Hi PRB..no testing as of yet...but shooting feathers before, i'm sure they well fly just great 8) ...i'm shooting GT's at 18.5grs with a front brass insert, and 100gr slick tricks..(385-387grs) total weight...
That sounds great. Let us know how it turns out :D Your not by chance having fun are you ??? :wink:
Hi PRB..doing 300fps+ :) ..did some testing at work today, and these things really hit the nail on the head!..very good groups out to 40yds...did'nt have the chance to shoot beyond that today :( ...the shooting was done indoors, and I'm very happy with the tighht groups out to that range...(using the 100gr, slicks)
Seeya..BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
wabi

Post by wabi »

BigBear,
I shoot 18.5" goldtips with a brass inset and 4" parabolic feather fletching.
With 100 grain points arrow weight is just under 380 grains. They chronographed at 296 fps out of my Phoenix with excel string. I also have some goldtips fletched with vanes that I shortened to 18.5" & weighted the point inserts to match the weight of the others. Accuracy is great with either, but I prefer the feathers. (probably because I'm older than the invention of plastic vanes :lol: )
wabi
engineman

FEATHERS, OR VANES

Post by engineman »

Here is a different set-up. 20" XX75 2219 with 4" Quick-spin vanes and 125 grain Montec G5. Shoots very good out of my Phoenix. I could not get the Gold Tips with vanes and 100 grain tips to group to my satisfaction. I tried 125 grain G5 and still not what I was expecting. Gold Tips with feathers and G5's group almost the same as the XX75's.