EXOMAX

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bigbore

EXOMAX

Post by Bigbore »

is there any thing wrong with a practitally noobie crossbow hunter buying a Exomax over the others? i am a experianced rifle hunter, and like rifles that kick.

thx

Bigbore
"Catch & Release Wild Trout"
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Bigbore/trout_leaping.gif[/img]
Tom

Post by Tom »

Big Bore I take from your question that your asking if it wouold be ok for a new crossbow hunter to go dirrectly to the highest power bow instead of starting at the lower power bows. The answer is, you can start at any of the bows.

The difference (in operating) is mainly in the ease in which they cock. If your going to be using the cocking aids, then this will not matter much. But if you want to cock by hand, it is easier to learn the proper tech. with the lighter poundage bows.

Also your choice in the bow, should be more in line with what your capable of easily handling. If you find cocking the bow, either by hand or with the cocking aids, you will not really enjoy shooting the bow.

Good luck in your choice and enjoy.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I bought my first bow of any kind 2 years ago off of BJ, an ExoMax. If I were to do it all over again I think I would buy the Exocet 200. The Max is great but a brute to cock and I don't really need the extra power. The one big advantage is that at 350 fps, string jump is not an issue out to 30 yards.

Partikle
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Unlike rifles crossbows dont "kick" so like the others have posted it comes down to can you cock it.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The Max will allow you to shoot a lighter arrow faster than the other bows. That means a bit flatter trajectory. It means the arrow may get to its target a bit faster, reducing the chance of your target to react to the sound of the bow firing. This hopefully means that the target won't have a chance to move enough to duck the arrow slightly (and get wounded) or dodge it entirely.

It also means you could use heavier arrows and get the same speed that other bows produce with lighter arrows. The heavier arrows would generally give better penetration, and that could be an important feature in hunting larger big game such as elk or moose.

Those are some of the benefits. It's a bit harder on strings. (I have a Max, and I don't care about that. Stringas aren't all that expensive.) On the ground, on good footing, I can cock the Max by hand, but I can't while in my tree stand. That's not an issue either for me, because I use a cocking aid in the stand. I would also use a cocking aid on the ground if I were doing a lot of shooting.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

My first x-bow was/is the Exomax.......I use the cocking aid and have no problems with it. Then again, I love overkill.........
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent