?? 3 Dot Red Dot/ TenPoint™ Multi-Line Mini 3x Crossbow Scop

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike41

?? 3 Dot Red Dot/ TenPoint™ Multi-Line Mini 3x Crossbow Scop

Post by mike41 »

Trying to figure out which one to buy. I like the red dot for low light conditions, but would the 3x be better if I had a 30yd shot? Most of the deer
I have shot have been under 20 yds. Any input on this?

Mike41:
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Keep getting them within 20 yards and they won't know til it's too late :D . I don't find the magnification helps very much. Go with your personal preference.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have a reddot on my shotgun and regular scope on my bow. Your personal choice is only thing that matters here. Magnification on the scope might give you alitlle better light gathering ability, but not enough to matter (the extra light gathering usually only gives you more shooting light after legal shooting time). When you can't see through the reddot, it is too late to legally shoot.

In my mind, the one major downfall to the reddot is the battery. IF you have ever had a battery go dead when you are about to sight in on an animal, you will be disapointed. I had this happen, but my scope rings are see though and I just used the sight on the barrel.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Vince

Post by Vince »

Tasco has come out with a solar cell Red Dot...."for those who love red dot sights but hate batteries"
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I just put a red dot on my marlin 44 mag after setting scope on a rest
I shot standing offhand and my point of impact changed I then moved my head on the stock centering my view and the point of impact came back.
Looks like how you hold the gun is going to be real important, is this right.
Are they as accurate as a regular scope.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Just a question about the red dot .
I was told that you dont have to sight in a red dot you just aim and shoot.
Is this true?
I dont think you can just put a scope on and not have to sight it in.
Tom

Post by Tom »

You still have to sight in the scope.

But in my opinion, a red dot is not as accurate as a scope with crosshairs. Something about the short barrel of the scope with a red dot, the dot can wonder a little depending on how you shoulder the bow or gun. With a shot gun and the close range, there is not much of a wonder to worry about. I believe that would also be the case with the crossbow.

For a red dot to work properly, the shooter must be able to shoulder the weapon consistantly the same.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
speedball

Post by speedball »

i use a 42mm simmons red dot on my stealth x-2 ten-point, its been fantastic the batteries are not an issue with me cause i change them every year and i make sure i dont leave it on when its not in use, the larger retical along with the 4 moa dot is awesome in low light i killed a fat doe right at the very end of legal shooting light this past season and i could of[even though i wont],went well past legal time with all the light it gathers, the single dot for me is fine i have a bow that shoots well over 310 fps and if i think the deer is a bit farther than 30 yards i just raise my dot higher, hope this helps speedball....... :D :)
gone huntin never to return................