Adjustable draw weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Swede

Adjustable draw weight

Post by Swede »

Does anyone know if there is a crossbow with adjustable limbs or the possibility to change limbs(bow) to different draw weight? I need three different draw weights. 45lb for practice indoors. 100lb practice outside. 150lb or more for hunting. Must I buy three crossbows for this need??!

Would be very happy if someone could help me out.

Michael(swede)
TYE

Post by TYE »

You can buy different limbs for Excalibur Crossbows that make the bow different draw weights. :)
Digger

Post by Digger »

Ten Point's Six point series the Slider & Pro Slider goes from 125 lb to 175lb draws.
Click on products then down load and go to pg 4 . It tells you about them.

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

I think Excalibur still markets light limbs for their crossbows. This wouldn't give 3 weights, but would give 2 which I would think would take care of practice & hunting. I believe the vixen with standard limbs is 150# and with light limbs is 90#, but I'm not certain. 90# should be good for indoors & outdoor practice. 45# would not be much force to propel an arrow from a crossbow! Even 90# would not generate too much energy, and I would think it would be good for indoor use with a good target & backstop.
wabi
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hey Wabi, did you get my PM?
Swede

Post by Swede »

Thanks.....I will look into this. :D
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

In my opinion, using different draw weights with a bow is like using bullets of one weight to zero a firearm, then using a different weight to hunt. It is unproductive, and a waste of time and money.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

I don't think practice is ever a waste of time and since the "ammo" is reusable,there is no real waste of money either! Unless you are speaking of money spent on extra limbs or more money spent on a sixpoint slider (if they are more money,I have no idea). I think the majority of the guys on here have spent money to have more than one crossbow in their collection for no better reason than wanting it. I say go for it Swede,buy what you think works for you! :wink:

..Al.
Swede

Post by Swede »

First of all we need a licens to buy crossbows in Sweden. And the people handling crossbow issues are very strict. So having a load of crossbows at home is not even a posibility :(

To have the posibility to practice with the crossbow in different places makes you a better crossbow shooter I think.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I disagree big time on the "In my opinion, using different draw weights with a bow is like using bullets of one weight to zero a firearm, then using a different weight to hunt. It is unproductive, and a waste of time and money." Sighted in on a low poundage, so you don't bury your bolts up to the fletching, is very appealing. Practice is practice. A verticle target bow, shooting say 1916's, set at 40 lbs, does not tear up your muscles, joints, etc... when you get older, but the form needed to shoot well is maintained. But practice and pounding the targets, is something every responsible archer should do. If you don't practice, you should not hunt. That's my opinion. Even with a crossbow, the more familiar you are with your equipment the better. It would be easy for Bill T to make a "slider", or offer extra rails. Big advantages to the shooter, but big loss of income to the manufacturer. I'm not saying Bill would rather have you buy another bow, but it is better for him for you to do so. I like the idea. Plus alot of guys, may be able to pull say 100 lbs, and would shoot more if they would not have to pull so much weight promoting practice. Also, more 3-D ranges may let you shoot right along side verticle shooters, thus promoting our part of the sport better. Once they see the crossbow is not as fast as a laser beam, maybe they would understand a little better. Crank up the poundage when hunting season arrives. Just my thoughts. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Tom

Post by Tom »

ComfyBear wrote:In my opinion, using different draw weights with a bow is like using bullets of one weight to zero a firearm, then using a different weight to hunt. It is unproductive, and a waste of time and money.
I have to disagree with the above quote even though it does have some merit. If you were practicing just to learn the arrow flight path, then it would be a waste of time, but the more you shoot the better your shooting form will become. Also the more comfortable and reactionary you will be when it does become time to site on an animal.

About the different speeds that these arrows will travel from these different weighted bows, is that not one of the reasons the varizon scope was made. As long as the arrow speed is kept between 250-350 fps then you would just have to know the speed then adjust the speed dial on the scope.

Good luck in your pursuit Swede
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Digger

Post by Digger »

A few years ago, I owned eight Excals from 150 lbs to 185 lbs. I made up a prod with Excal lite limbs and it was interchangeable with almost all the Excal line. This gave me an extra eight xbows with poundage fron 100-140 lbs. Simply remove two riser bolts to replace the prod and your ready to go plinking or moose hunting. the only xbows that it won't work on are the Relayer, Paradox and the Wolverine. I've had robin hoods with all these combinations, so accuracy doesn't change. I put the lite prod together for under $100 Can. Speeds were from 225 to 260 fps with the lite prod.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
speedball

Post by speedball »

I think the ten-point six-point series is a great idea for kids or a person not wanting to draw alot of weight or to have a bow that is too long of a stock to be comfortable hey maybe its a fad that will fade and not catch on but i give it to the guys at ten-point for forward thinking :) :idea: :idea:
gone huntin never to return................