New Phoenix Owner Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wpahunter-

New Phoenix Owner Question

Post by wpahunter- »

I can't tell you how pleased I am with this bow. This is my third crossbow and this bow by far is the best. My questions are:

1. What is a good hunting arrow, fleching and hunting tip?

I shot the field tip and carbon arrows that came with the bow and the 365 grain set up is outstanding in accuracy.

2. How can I refletch carbon arrows with flat nocks? I like to "roll my own".

Thanks for reading,

Hairy
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The arrows you got with the bow will work well for hunting. As for the hunting heads, well there you can get into a very active debate as to what is best. Try the heads you used before, they will probually work well if you were happy with them before.

It is not that difficult to fletch the arrow, espically if you already have the knowledge. What you need to do is get a filed tip and glue the knock to it. Just screw the tip into the back end of the arrow, then proceed like you would with a compound arrow. Now if you have a solid flat end insert (no threads) and not an insert like what goes in the front, then you will have to replace it.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I like GoldTip carbons and G-5 Montecs out of my Phoenix.
The best way to fletch is the Arizona E-Z fletch. I bought one for my crossbow arrows and ended up selling my Bitzenburger and using the E-Z fletch for everything!
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

I prefer Goldtips for my hunting and shooting pursuits because of their durability.Also I've been using the Arizona EZ fletch for about 15 years with very good success.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) Good advice from Tom. I'm in no way any kind of bowyer, but in making my own bolts, I still like to use my Bitz. I like to be able to put a tad of helical to my 4" vanes, right wing of course. I love the spin and think it improves accuracy. I cut my bolts to 18", but I can get away with 300 to 325 gr. using my vixen approching 300 fps.
TYE

Post by TYE »

This is my setup. Beman Thunderbolt with 100gr NAP Thunderhead. I'm getting dead on accuracy with this combo out of my Phoenix.