LET ME RAMBLE HERE......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB7255KHZ

LET ME RAMBLE HERE......

Post by BOB7255KHZ »

Man, these crossbow choices are crazy.....whats a mother to do huh?
All through my life's choices I knew what I wanted may it be a home , car or truck or anything for that matter.....but making up my mind on a xbow is different matter , geeeeesh. This is not easy.
I shot a Exocet 200 yesterday, first xbow I've ever shot.....I can cock the bow and uncock it with the cocking string , did this about 4 or 5 times , really no problem, but today my side and lower back feel a lil sore. Maybe too much bow for me, I dunno. Played with the Pheonix too....couldn't tell any difference compared to the Exocet200 when cocking or uncocking....I didn't shoot it. They didn't have the Vixen there to try , darn.
I did handle the 10 point ....felt good , looked good but wayyyyyy to heavy.....put that bugger back on the rack, no way.
I sure it's gonna be a Ecalibur but which one is the problem. Don't want to get something thats going to wear me out and not want to shoot it and enjoy it. I'm 56 yrs of age, almost 5ft 8 , I;m looking down the road too....as I do have an iffy lower back at times. I know they have the crankaroo.....but this would take the fun out of plain ole shootin....duhhh.

Guess I want the size/ ease of the Vixen....and the flat zing power of the Exomax.
Iknow you other fellas had to make the same choice on a xbow.....what was your desiding factor for a deer hunting xbow ?
Come on , confuse me more LMBO
I'm smile'n.....BOB
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Get a Vixen, make up or order the min. in total bolt/arrow weight 325gr. This will give you all the speed you should need along with good KE. The other factor in your choice will be WHAT CRITTERS do you plan on hunting ? Super xbow for deer and most other critters.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Bob. You say that your side and lower back was sore. Sounds like you are using your back to cock the bow.

You may have to shorten the rope cocker. If, when you cock the bow, you are leaning back with your upper torso then the rope is too long and will cause discomfort.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Just like lifting anything heavy like heavy barbells or a transmission at work it helps out your back by using your legs instead of your back. Bend at the knees and look up then pull up while straightening your legs. I have a crankeroo but never use it. I usually use my hands when hunting and if I am shooing targets I use a rope cocker. I have an Exocet and I am 5'3" (only) but have no problem at 53 years of age. Excaliburs are fine xbows. I still haven't decided on my second xbow. I will be either an Vixen or a Phoenix. Either will be enough of everything needed for hunting or punching Xs. A.W is correct, on the Vixen you probably should shorten the rope. The rope cocker seems just right (when it comes pre-assembled) for the Exocet and the Vixen has a shorter stroke.
Last edited by Boo on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Get a phoenix :D get a poll going so people can vote between the vixen and phoenix to help you decide
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
BOB7255KHZ

Post by BOB7255KHZ »

Well fellas , the rope cocker was short , maybe too short as the T handles were tight against the cable hooks when strung so I had to reach all the way down to grab the T handles.....making it a good stretch for the ole back. I'm sure if I adjusted the rope to my own liking it would be alot better on my back.
I really have not come any closer to my choice of model as they all look like the " right one" but I"m sure which ever one I chose it will be a wise choice. It will be used only for deer hunting.....and of course many hours of fun practice shooting. Plan on spending manyyyyy hours with it , like a true friend it will be .
Thank you , BOB
wabi

Post by wabi »

Without any doubt in my mind I can say the Vixen will handle any critter up to and including whitetail deer as long as you stay within reasonable distance for your shots. The Vixen is the easiest to cock, and that ease adds up to more practice shots if you want them! The only fault I can find with the current Vixen it the lack of a "deluxe" version with camo finish!
I'm hunting with a Phoenix because I like the camo finish, but the rope cocker is almost a necessity if you do much shooting. I adjust my rope cocker so that the string has to be pulled back to latch the second hook. The bow is "drawn" about 3 or 4 inches with the rope cocker in position.
wabi
BryanOney

X-bow

Post by BryanOney »

I really like my vixen. I feel it is the last crossbow I will ever need or buy. I might add I hope to have at least 59 more deer seasons to hunt in.
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

wabi wrote:Without any doubt in my mind I can say the Vixen will handle any critter up to and including whitetail deer as long as you stay within reasonable distance for your shots. The Vixen is the easiest to cock, and that ease adds up to more practice shots if you want them! The only fault I can find with the current Vixen it the lack of a "deluxe" version with camo finish!
I'm hunting with a Phoenix because I like the camo finish, but the rope cocker is almost a necessity if you do much shooting. I adjust my rope cocker so that the string has to be pulled back to latch the second hook. The bow is "drawn" about 3 or 4 inches with the rope cocker in position.
Ditto Wabi :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads