Turkey Season - 20 gauge shotgun vs. Exomag

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Zeke

Turkey Season - 20 gauge shotgun vs. Exomag

Post by Zeke »

Hello. I've been scarce around here a lot lately - hope everyone is doing well.

Turkey season is rapidly approaching and I'm faced with a debate. Basically, I can't decide what to take in the field to bag the big birds. I got a 20 gauge shotgun that should do the trick - but I've heard a 12 is better suited for it - and then there's the Exomag that is well suited for the task (with the right broadhead).

I figure a good turkey broadhead is close in price to a super-full turkey choke tube.

So, if you only wanted to spend the dough on either a turkey choke tube for a 20 gauge or a suitable turkey broadhead for an Exomag - which way would you go?

Thanks and have a good week!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I would go get a choke tube and use Remington's Hevi-shot.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Zeke any accurate broad head would be a good choice for hunting turkeys. Accuracy is the most important aspect since the kill zone is alot smaller. Second is to be able to stop the arrow inside the bird, you do NOT want a pass through.

The use of an arrow arrestor, in my opinion is manditory, for hunting turkeys with archery equipment. There are many types available out there from home made to store boughten. I personally use the Zwickey Scoprio's and recomend them because I found them to be the best and they are not that expensive.

As to which to use, the 20 guage or the bow, that is just a personal preferance. With the gun, you will have greater range (but not as much with the 20 compared to if it was a 12 guage) and you would have a second shot with the gun if needed.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

If this is your first time turkey hunting I would suggest using the shotgun Zeke. But you really don't need a special choke to hunt turkeys with. If you have a standard full choke tube, then screw it in and PATTERN your gun. Some guns like 5's while some others only pattern 4's or 6's real good. Just use the highest velocity ammo available. Back in the early 90's before all the specialty ammo and chokes caught on here in Ohio I killed my first 3 turkeys using a Browning A-5 shooting 2 3/4" #4's shot through a fixed full choke barrel. They were shot at 15, 22 and a little over 30 yards and all three fell deader than Julius Caesar.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Your going to make a better kill on a bird with a 20 ga. A 20 ga setup right will do everything a 12 will. Spend the money on a good choke for the gun, untill you get a couple under your belt.

here's a 40 yard target with my 20 ga.

Image...BT
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
ch312

Post by ch312 »

adrian, how would you rate that pattern on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being poor and 10 being excellent? just for shits and giggles :lol:
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Thank you all for the input. This was an easier "no brain" decision back when I had a 3.5" 870 to use :lol: But I sold that gun and have a 20 gauge now.

The shotgun might serve me a little better until I learn how to call 'em in close on a consistent basis.
maddog

Post by maddog »

Adrian,
How come the shot pellet holes in your photo appear to come toward the shooter ? Was the turkey sketch drawn after the shot on the opposite side of the target?? Just curious!

Bill
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I have an order in for a 20 gauge that I was planning on using this season for Turkey. I was going to hold my shots to 30 yards but by looking at your results it seems 40 yards is possible. I've ordered a Mossberg X full Turkey choke and plan or using Hevi-Shot as it patterned well with the 12 gauge I used last year. If I can reach out to 40 yards with a 20 gauge I will be more then happy with it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd suggest using the shotgun until you gain some hunting experience.
I would get the new x-full choke tube, then invest in a few boxes of shells with different load combos. Start patterning at around 30 yards and see which load does best. When you find a good load increase distance until you find a maximum range. Stay within that range and you should be able to kill one. I own a shotgun that pattern's great with 6s or 4s, but not too good with 5s. Each gun/choke has it's favorite loads and the only way to find out which is best is to spend some time patterning the gun.
wabi
chessy

Post by chessy »

the shells adrain use are costom shells at 117 usd for 25 shells ... nitro is very expensive but very deadly ... my buddies use to use nitro ammo but it is now 139 usd funds for 25 rounds