Paradox Vs. Exomax in loudness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

swiss

Paradox Vs. Exomax in loudness

Post by swiss »

I was shooting my exomax next to my friends Paradox the other day.
With the same shafts his bow was half as loud, just as accurate, easier to cock and had a better trigger it seemed.
I thought the exomax was the better machine, seems I was mistaken.
I was not worried about reliability as much as spooking the hell out of a shot animal. I only would shoot the bow maybe a dozen times a year anyways. Has anybody compared the exomag to the exomax in this respect??
Tom

Post by Tom »

swiss anyone standing next to a shooter will think that the bow is more quiet then when they shot a crossbow.

When your shooting a crossbow, your cheek is against the stock, the viberation will travel through the bone structure into your ear to make it sound louder than it actually is. This is just like the Dr's tunning fork when you get a hearing test. Until it is against your bone structure, you will not hear the turning fork.

I honestly do not know which bow is more quiet, but I think people make more out of the noise coming from the bow when being shot then they should. I believe that the ARROW makes more noise in flight then most bows on the market.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
swiss

Post by swiss »

I know what you mean, but I compared both as the shooter.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well swiss you made the right choice, as thats the last noise the critter will hear, that is IF you make a proper placed shot :arrow:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Normous

Post by Normous »

The Max is very fast and you should not have to worry about spooking the animal with the shot. The bolt will be through it before it can react, at reasonable distances I might add.
The only spooking it will do is after the bolt passes through, and it thinking "Oh S**T its Swiss".

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
swiss

Post by swiss »

I have hunted with the compound in other places that I can't use the crossbow. All over North America for Twenty years. I have come to realize a few things, cause and effect. Even with a good shot from time to time an anmimal can be lost, or a bad shot could hit a magic spot. When an animal is shot, it runs from the sound of the bow not often from the impact of the arrow. A quiet bow means a shorter track job and more likely recovery. I have no doubt as to the killing ability of archery tackle, and even the weakest arrow will kill the largest creature. So the question is if the extra velocity is really needed in sacrifice of noise. Any one who thinks that they can shoot faster than a whitails reflexes has not seen what they can really do. I used to love the magnum rifles because I thought they made me more successful, now I hunt all my big game with a .243, this may go against most logic.
JR

Post by JR »

You're right Swiss. I have compared both on the range. Stand behind both bows and the Paradox is quieter. I have a Paradox and have never had any reliability issues, none. The Paradox is made by Excalibur so why would it be any less reliable? Think of all the vert compound shooters out there. Are they complaining about reliability? Shoot what you like, and you're right about deer running from the noise of the bow and not the arrow. How many deer have run towards the shooter and how many have run away from the shooter? -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have said this before.

If you as a shooter can safely go down range (behind a safe wall or something like that) near the target, they should do it. This will give you some resemblance as to what a deer or other animal will hear.

I will garantee you will be very surprised. The most noise comes from the arrow, NOT the bow. Feathers are louder then veins, but both make alot of noise in flight. I am not sure if different hunting heads make more noise then others, but that might be expected. Different heads have different blade designs, therefore will cut the air differently.

With this knowledge, I feel that the bow might startle or scare the deer, but the sound of the arrow coming dirrectly at them (getting louder as it aproaches) terrifies them the most.

I wish I had the ability to be able to do sound test downrange with proper tech. measuring equipment, but I don't. I would love to know if the the faster arrows make more noise then the slower ones. ARe mechanicals quieter then fixed heads (the ones with cutouts in the blade).

Again if you are able to preform this test, going downrange saftly, then pleae do this test ans see for yourself.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I really like the performance of my Paradox and is for sure quieter than the recurve models, and it's been working great for me since 2001. Since 2001 I've harvested 13 deer ( 7 bucks and 6 does), and two turkeys with it.

Yes it definitely needs more attention than the recurve models, but you just have to make sure that it's kept up like any other compound bow/crossbow. That said, I always take a back-up bow/crossbow with me when I go hunting. And if I could only take one with me it would be my Exocet 200, no thinking twice about that one!... Just my opinion.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Camper

Post by Camper »

My exomag is loud .

Alot louder then my dad's vixen.

I have D/B's on my mag and he has nothing to silence his vixen.

When I go to the range or to a friends house to shoot, people are always surprised at how loud my E-mag is.

I still love the mag but it is loud as hell. I have never seen or heard the Max being shot so I can't comment on it but I am assuming it's just as loud or louder.

Does this affect deer?

Who knows but I still keep bringing them home!
Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

I bought a Buckmaster Maxpoint ( a Paradox with a different sticker) and I think I actually like it more than the new Exomax I have. I'm going to look for another one before season hits next year. I too feel it's quieter and easier to shoot. Sure is a smaller profile to carry in the woods.
Digger

Post by Digger »

My Paradox seems to be quieter than my Vixen that has the same accesseries. Both are quiet but nowhere near silent.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity