String longevity question part II...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pokynojoe

String longevity question part II...

Post by pokynojoe »

Gentlemen:
Well, the other evening I finally had time to visit my local shop. I asked about serving material, told the gentleman behind the counter it was for an excalibur crossbow. After he replied, "Oh your one of those archers", having no idea what he meant I inquired of him why the sarcastic response. It seems that there is a difference of opinion as to what constitutes a "real" archer among the many factions in the world of archery, but I suppose that is quite a topic in itself. I was not aware of this, and find it most unfortunate. Anyway, after explaining himself, he turned out to be fairly helpful(understand, I'm was operating from a postion of ignorance here, so I had to rely on his expertise, or lack of, as the case may be). Anyway, he recommended Brownell's .026 braided FF(whatever that is?) and a cavalier apparatus. It sounded good to me so I purchased both(price was under $25 so I figured that's worth the gamble). After some futile attempts at re-serving, I finally was able to achieve a reasonable job on the string. So far I was only able to shoot 5 flights of 5 arrows, but the serving looks good, bracing height is consistent, and POI at twenty yards is correct. Will see. As a side note, I shot my flights today with about a 25-30 mph cross wind and I was surprised how little the arrows drifted, I would have thought POI would have changed considerably. Thanks for your help. Any comments would be appreciated, the older I get the more I realize I don't know!

Joe
gad

Re: String longevity question part II...

Post by gad »

pokynojoe wrote:Gentlemen:
Well, the other evening I finally had time to visit my local shop. I asked about serving material, told the gentleman behind the counter it was for an excalibur crossbow. After he replied, "Oh your one of those archers", having no idea what he meant I inquired of him why the sarcastic response. It seems that there is a difference of opinion as to what constitutes a "real" archer among the many factions in the world of archery, but I suppose that is quite a topic in itself. I was not aware of this, and find it most unfortunate. Anyway, after explaining himself, he turned out to be fairly helpful(understand, I'm was operating from a postion of ignorance here, so I had to rely on his expertise, or lack of, as the case may be). Anyway, he recommended Brownell's .026 braided FF(whatever that is?) and a cavalier apparatus. It sounded good to me so I purchased both(price was under $25 so I figured that's worth the gamble). After some futile attempts at re-serving, I finally was able to achieve a reasonable job on the string. So far I was only able to shoot 5 flights of 5 arrows, but the serving looks good, bracing height is consistent, and POI at twenty yards is correct. Will see. As a side note, I shot my flights today with about a 25-30 mph cross wind and I was surprised how little the arrows drifted, I would have thought POI would have changed considerably. Thanks for your help. Any comments would be appreciated, the older I get the more I realize I don't know!

Joe
I would like to re-serving some of my strings. But I don't know what tools/materials are necessary to do this? If someone could point one link on the web that has the necessary stuff to serving, I would be really glad.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Digger

Post by Digger »

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

While hardly qualified to answer your question,(I've only had my bow for a few weeks), if you read the post below entitled "string longevity question", the gentlemen who are qualified, posted some links that explain how to do this and the apparatus involved.

Regards
Joe
action44

Post by action44 »

I really don,t know why longbow and compoundbow hunters have the need to cheap shot crossbow hunters.I own both compoundboww and crossbow and i usally just use my crossbow when i,m hunting.The only disablement i have is that i.m a really bad shot with my compound so i don,t use it in fear of wounding an animal.I can,t really help on the string service issue,i usually just buy a two strings at beginning of the season and switch them when the first is looking rough.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like you're ready to get into another fun phase of archery - building and maintaining your accessories.
As for the negative attitudes, I think most often the remarks come from ignorant people. Not necessarily stupid, but IGNORANT! They know little to nothing about crossbows, and depend on fictional tales about the crossbow being a "super bow" to base their opinions that it's somehow cheating and taking away from their bowhunting experience. I hunted for several decades with a stickbow before I tried a crossbow. I don't remember ever telling any crossbow (or compound for that matter) hunter that they were taking the easy way (cheating), but I thought it at times until I actually tried crossbow hunting. What I've learned is that each type/style bow (recurve, longbow, compound, and crossbow) has it's advantages and disadvantages. None is really any easier to bowhunt with, you just need to adapt your hunting style and method to take full advantage of the bow's strong points, and avoid as many of the weak points as you can.
wabi
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Wabi
Thanks for your reply and advice. Back in '69 or '70 maybe a little latter, I bought my first bow (Bear Kodiak Magnum) it took half my pay check. the bow cost a whooping $48 and matched arrows were $1.75 a piece! I practiced my form and was able to take several deer. Then things happened, life I guess. Now with family grown, and some time on my hands I find my interest renewed. I have a new recurve coming in a week or two ( I miss that old Kodiak), but I realize I'm starting from zero all over again. I find this schism among archers puzzling. I don't know anything about compound bows, have never shot one, but I wouldn't find fault with someone who does. Competency with any weapon comes at price a and serves well the hunter and the ethical practice of the rules of fair chase, which when it comes right down to it, is what should matter most.

Warm regards
Joe