Adders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Adders

Post by Boo »

Has anyone had any experience with Adders for turkeys?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Boo I am not exactly sure what you are talking about, but if they are fixed arresters (fitting dirrectly behind the head against the shaft) they will work, but they will also cause more dammage to the bird. They will cut into the meat and also cause more brusing. I have not used them, but heard from others that have and reported this to me. Also the head is also limited to only a few inches of penertration.

Any arrow arrester is better then none at all. The best situation is to have the arrow head penertrate fully but have the arrow stop still in the bird. IF you get a rapid stop of the arrow, the bird will take a hard hit (full KE at once) and the head will not cut completely through the bird. That is the problem with a fixed arrow arrester. I have heard of people using a regular washer behind the head against the shaft like the adder. But I would have to think that the washer would effect the accuracy of the arrow.

Rubber bands, O-rings, have also been used. These will slide on the arrow shaft to slow the arrow down and premit more penertration. Now the tension of the rubber bands or O-rings will determine how well they will work.

IF you can get the Zwickey Scropio's, I would grab a few of them as I think that they are the best arrester on the market that I know about. I have never seen a pass through on a body shot with these on turkeys. They do not effect the arrow flight and stop the arrow slow enough to not cause much brusing but fast enough to still knock the bird off of its feet. At 7 yards I had my arrow take a Tom 6 feet sideways with a body shot (150lb model). My dad has the Exomag and only once did it not do exactly waht he wanted, but that was a neck shot. The bird started to run as he was shooting. But there was alot of dammage. Not only from the head, but the scropio's ripped a large part out of the neck.

Hope this helped you.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Tom, thank you very much again. That is the info I was looking for. You are a great source of information.