Bowfishing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tar Heel

Bowfishing

Post by Tar Heel »

I am wanting to try bowfishing this summer, i read that a 40 lb recurve
was good and that you did not need a lot of power. I have a exomag
and a barnett ranger which is about like a 45 lb recurve in energy.
Which one would be the best.
What equipment do i need to get started on a shoestring.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
BOB VANDRISH

BOWFISHING

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I used to do quite a bit of bowfishing for carp years ago,and all you need is a solid fiberglass arrow,with a collapsible barb.
They come with a hole in the back end to attach a string.
I have used them with and without fletching,and at a short range,it does not make that much difference.
A bow reel is good,but again,you can get away with having the string attached to your belt,and left loose on the water (make sure you have enough string!)
Most of your shots will be less than 20 feet.
Polaroid glasses are also a must to cut out reflection. from the surface of the water.
Hip waders are good if you are walking a shallow bay.
And speaking of reflection,or light refraction,you have to shoot under the fish,depending on depth under the surface.
Smoked carp is better than smoked sturgeon,if you do them slowly,in filets,with the skin down.
Make sure all the oils are cooked off.
Mmm-good!
Hope that helps.
Bob
Bob Vandrish.
hiredgun

Bowfishing

Post by hiredgun »

First step is to check the fishing regulations in your area. Bowfishing is generally not legal everywhere in the province/state and only for certain species in certain areas. As has been suggested, a solid fiberglass arow/bolt is required. As an alternative to a bowfishing reel, if you have a partner, a fishing rod with an open faced spinning reel pointed towards the fish works great. After the shot, the fish is played on the rod. The new new strength small diameter fishing lines should be ideal.
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

Ive always wanted to go bow fishing. Is there any kits for a crossbow?
Buckbuster
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I think crossbow hunting for big gators would be a blast !!!
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

hi to all

can we do a very small hole at the end of the arrow(flech)side
and then you pass a fishind string throu it ?

would that work?
what time is it? time to go hunting
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

the frenchman wrote:hi to all

can we do a very small hole at the end of the arrow(flech)side
and then you pass a fishind string throu it ?

would that work?
Would work, however most are near the fishing tip end. Do a search on bow fishing and you can see how they are made. Simple ones for carp and more heavy duty ones for Gar and gators. $25.00 US to 500.00 US :D

Here is one style or type of bow fishing rig.

Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I can share a little experience with bowfishing with a "traditional" bow, but have absolutely no experience with a crossbow for fishing. A longbow of 45# is more than enough for bowfishing for what's legal in Ohio (carp, suckers, gar, frogs & turtles). Using a 45# solid fiberglass recurve I have shot through as many as 3 carp in one shot. When spawning they will "stack-up" along the lakeshore and it is possible to shoot multiple fish per shot. I have shot a few over 20# with that light recurve and had no problems. A heavier bow is not necessary, and can even be a hazard when something goes wrong. And believe me, it will happen sooner or later. You will get the line wrapped around a finger, the line will snag on something, or some similar mishap will occur and you will be gad you aren't shooting a 60 or 70# bow. :lol:
There are several ways to rig a fish arrow and the method Gary shows is good. Another method is to run a small diameter steel cable from the nock end to the point and attach a sliding ferrule to the cable to hold the line. With both these methods the line remains on the "back" of the bow during the shot. The simplest method is to thread the line through the nock end hole in the arrow shaft, then tie it in a hole through the point (& shaft). When you "draw" the bow the line to the reel is pulled back over the arrow shelf and this can cause problems if the arrow is lowered and the shot passed up. You then have about 2 feet or more of loose line hanging down and that is where I usually manage to tangle a finger in it. You do want the line from the reel to be attached at the nock end for better arrow flight, but I like it to also be attached to the point for holding everything together when battling a fish.
I have thought of trying a crossbow, but I wouldn't particularly want the power of my Phoenix behind a fish arrow. It would almost certainly pass through a fish, and they can be hard to remove from underwater roots and vegetation, plus on a rocky bottom the point would surely take a beating.
Bowfishing can be fun, but remember - don't shoot water snakes! Especially BIG water snakes. A fish arrow doesn't kill them outright and if you score a good hit you have to quickly decide what to to with a mad snake that is attached to your bow/arrow/reel combination.
wabi
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

thank's for the answer
but me it is not for fish
it is for small game in trees like partridge
so i dont loose my arrow

how would you do that?

Michel
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Recruve or long bow with flu flu arrows and blunts :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

Recruve or long bow with flu flu arrows and blunts

gary me it is with my crossbow
end what is a flu flu arrow?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

the frenchman wrote:Recruve or long bow with flu flu arrows and blunts

gary me it is with my crossbow
end what is a flu flu arrow?
Flu Flu arrow has many large feathers or one long feather wrapped around and down the arrow to slow it down. Travel is maybe 15 yards it drops fast. Be hard to make one to shoot from a xbow.

As for shooting a xbow up at a bird in a tree I sure would think about that frenchman as a miss and who knows where your bolt/arrow would go, many yards for sure. Think that would be mighty dangerous :shock:

Do think I would go with a small shot gun. Only other thing you might use would be a tracking line and that would tangle in the tree branches and be more trouble then it is worth. Other way is a bunch of cheap bolts cause ya going to lose some.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

ok thank's gary

Michel
wabi

Post by wabi »

one style of fluflu
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Another style of fluflu

Nice pics wabi, how far can that style fly ?
Always learning!!
Home fer now!