HAM RADIO

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB7255KHZ

HAM RADIO

Post by BOB7255KHZ »

Hummmm....by checking a few profiles, I have noticed a few of the group members mention " ham radio" as their other interest....thats great to find others enjoying the fine hobby of radio.
My call is N3OO....my wife is N3YL....son #1 is KA3S.....son #2 is KS3V.......my dad is WA3EBJ
We are all bow hunters too.
gad

Post by gad »

Nice,

ZZ5MGD my callsign.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Hi
My call ia N3HW ,old call was K3ZPL been a ham for 43 years. Now into QRP with a Elecraft K2.
73's and 72's Harry
Bruno-TL

Post by Bruno-TL »

QRZ Bob

Call is K1WHY. Licensed in 1961.

Started bow hunting in early 60"s with recurve. Stopped after 1970 and started again in 1997 with compound and crossbow.

Hurricane Charlie sort of took down most antennae and tower but I'll be back on air soon.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I'm not trying to be rude but am i the only one who dosen't have a clue what the hell a HAM is?
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Huntman

A HAM is the name given to amerature radio operators because thely like to HAM it up ont the air.

You must take and pass a Federal FCC test to receive an amateur license. There are now 4 classes of licesns. The higher the class, the more operator prividgles, and the more difficult the exam.

You can set up an amateur, hobby, radio station and talk with folk from all over the world. You cannot do anything that would be considered broadcasting or commercial.

You can operate from the lower frequencies up into the microwave range. There are amateur satellites, repeaters so you can talk very long distance with the equivalent of a walkie talkie, you may want to set up a station to operate by bouncing your signal off the moon, or you could hook your compouter into your radio system. Lots of fun and technical things to do.

I operate an old morse code transmitter, and I have an old origional brass telegraph key. My idea of fun.

I have an extra class license, the highest. When I got my license you had to take a morse code test of 20 words per minute, answer many questions, and actually drae the schematic diagrams of types of equipment. Now, it is much easier. You can get a license manual on Monday and pass your test at an exam session on Saturday.

My call is what is called a vanity call. That means I paid the FCC for this particular call sign: N4YGC. I am a church pastor. Never 4get You're God's Child :D
I never was as good as I used to be.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: :lol: And here I thought it was for talking to pigs!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding.... 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
BOB7255KHZ

Post by BOB7255KHZ »

Great to see a few postings, great indeed.
To those wondering what we are talking about , it's a hobby of ham radio, a great pastime. Talking over a microphone , or using morse code, it's a magic carpet ride to talk to all over the world to other radio ops , instint friendship, promoting good will and emergency communications worldwide. Radio ops come from all walks of life and styles and of all ages. We talk about anything and everything from the radio set ups that we are using , the weather, our family's , our jobs, food, pets etc you name it.......just like setting around a camp fire BS'n . Radio equipment ranges in prices from $50 junkers to $10,000 or more.
The majority of these radio's operate off of 12volts so they are used from the home or car, planes and ships at sea, unlimited.
We also provide local and state emergency communication and public service when disaster strikes as when there is no cell phone, police/fire usage due to power outages.
It's a fun hobby.......
huntman

Post by huntman »

Thanks for the info Beaver. Sound intersting... congrats and have fun to all the HAM on the forum!
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:P A lot of folks call it ragchewing :P