extended life for xbow center servings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gad

Re: extended life for xbow center servings

Post by gad »

gutpile wrote:I have found that strings made at factories and pro shops are center served at far less linier tensions than found when accually strung on the bow. A string made on a jig streched, served at let's say 50# even FF when put on a 150# bow will over a 24 hour stay strech a solid 1/4" if not more in turn loosening the grip of the center serving causing expedited seperation at contact points of claws and cocking aid hooks dramatically shortening it's worth.For those who build and service their own gear try pre-streching new strings on the bow for a day or so, remove riser from rail and center serve in place also extend the length of the serve from the traditional 4" to 6" as the extra grip/length will prevent cocking aid damage/seperation in that area. This has "served" me well over the years on vert's and now xbow also, most times doubling life expectancy-shots down range. This may save new guys some torment.
Looks clear your post.
I would like to know what kind of equipment I need to do my own strings, and also, to do serving on old/new strings... Any advice?
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
gad

Post by gad »

gutpile wrote:Hi gad, these two sites will give you an insite to get started. www.lexicon.net/amron/stringmaking.htm a quick read good visual. The next site offers a starter kit portable enough to take to camp make string off tailgate of truck, lacks only xbow center serve material they also sell. www.bcyfibers.com - click on " products" then "bowstring making starter kit". good luck enjoy
Really thanks. :D
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Slink

Post by Slink »

Another trick that works for me.
Before serving the string, remove all twists. Then after reserving the string, put the same amount of twists in the string that you took out. Make sure you twist the string in the direction that tightens the serving. Take note before you serve the string, if the string is built correctly, both the end servings and center serving should tighten as you add twists. I've made it sould a lot more difficult that it really is.

Good luck. This works for me and I hope it works for you.

Slink

PS I've only used this on verticle bows, but I'm getting ready to use the same method on my wife's Phoenix.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Gutpile:
I have reserved my string as per your advice this morning, we'll see how it holds up. How would one re-serve the end loops if this becomes necessary?

Regards
Joe
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I found a very good serving string: is the Dyneema used for Kite-surf 150 lb. After 50 shoot with my Exomax the serving is still perfect!
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Hello Mathias
I'm currently using Brownell's braided FF .026. Where does one get Kite-surf string? Perhaps you could point in the right direction.

Regards
Joe
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I got it on a big sport store, 10 meters only 7 euro. My office collegue do Kite, so I ask him if he knews some kind of material very resistent to abrasion and he told me that Dyneema was the best and all the Kite-surf strings have made in this material.

I use also a silicon spray oil.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Gutpile & Mathias
Thank you. I am aware of the Crossbow seving material, but I can't find any around here. The .026 FF is doing an ok job, better than what I had on before. Who is Dan Miller and how do I contact him? I'm sure it's painfully obvious, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Regards
Joe
Digger

Post by Digger »

Dan Miller is the US rep for Excalibur

Dan Miller at

Horizontal Archery
37432 Fifth Ave.
Sardis, OH
43946 US
740-483-2312
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Thanks Gutpile! :shock: I have to change my oil!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
This is not a good news...It works very very well.... :cry:

..and if I will use natural vaseline oil? It will works right?