nock question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

nock question

Post by Rich »

I'm new to the board and had 2 questions on nocks. I switched from a Parker to an Exocet after the Parker blew a limb after just 30 days of shooting. My first question was answered in a previous post (fletching by gluing a kock onto a field tip). My second question is are the half moon kocks replaceable with blunt kocks on my old carbon arrows. I haven't bought any new arrows for the Exocet yet to see if the nocks are interchangeable.
shifty

Post by shifty »

I wouldnt recommened half moon nocks for excalibur
Rich

Post by Rich »

Shifty,

That is my question, can I replace the half moon kocks with the blunt ones on my old arrows. If so, where can I buy them.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I believe that you can replace the 1/2 moon knocks. If I remember correctly that some members form here just filed down the knocks to a smooth blunt end. Remember if you choose to file smooth the 1/2 moon, that SHARP edges on the knock will lessen the life of your string.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
diesel

Post by diesel »

Cut the half moon nock off and install an insert in there works great. That's what I'm doing for my brother and it works great .
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Best thing you can do is heat the shaft (INless its carbon) and remove the half moon nocks and replace with either the blunt ones or a standard alum. insert. Not to start nutten here, BUT I have shoot many half moon nocks from some of my excals with no trouble or change of impact.

Want to make clear here however if you use the half moon nocks make sure the cock vane is down as this is where you would run in to trouble with a half moon setting wrong and Duh!! dry fire :shock:

Just re-read your post and see they are carbon, best bet sell them and get or make new bolts. Cutting them flat can be, I say can be bad news and not worth the trouble of possible damage to your xbow.

Of course as diesel stated you could cut the shafts just above where the nock stops in the shaft and install new blunt or inserts would be fine and the bolt would only be about 1/2 -3/4" shorter then it was.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Tom wrote:I believe that you can replace the 1/2 moon knocks. If I remember correctly that some members form here just filed down the knocks to a smooth blunt end. Remember if you choose to file smooth the 1/2 moon, that SHARP edges on the knock will lessen the life of your string.

Good luck.
I think I'm gonna try that.
Bucktail

Half Moon Nocks.

Post by Bucktail »

I use my arrow cut off saw to cut the half moon nocks off flush at the bottom of the groove. Works fine. No problems with any serving wear.

Bucktail