Bird flu?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Bird flu?

Post by Shakky »

With this bird flu spreading around the world and I understand it will hit North America soon I was wondering if anyone had any idea how hard it is predicted to hit the turkeys geese,ducks etc. Could our days of hunting fowl be numbered?
big dog

Post by big dog »

I don't know about that but they say the symptoms commonly found in humans are:
1-high fever
2-cramping
3-nausea
4-the sudden urge to crap on someone's windshield!!!!
big dog
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Sounds like how I feel every day driving on the highways around here! :twisted:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

That isolated piece of property of mine looks better every day.

Grey Owl
huntman

Post by huntman »

not sure turkey would fit in that category the disease only effects migratory birds.... i won't be doning in ducks and geese hunting this year!! Not sure why the MNR and DNR don't open a no limit season now on all migratory birds, we should be trying to controll this thing before it becomes an apademic.
A.W

Post by A.W »

huntman wrote:not sure turkey would fit in that category the disease only effects migratory birds
It doesn't only affect ducks and geese. Chickens don't migrate. It guess it realy depends on whether or not a turkey comes in contact with an infected bird. Let's hope it doesn't happen. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
huntman

Post by huntman »

A.W wrote:
huntman wrote:not sure turkey would fit in that category the disease only effects migratory birds
It doesn't only affect ducks and geese. Chickens don't migrate. It guess it realy depends on whether or not a turkey comes in contact with an infected bird. Let's hope it doesn't happen. :wink:
GOOD point A.W. your 100% correct! I guess if you put it that way then a scenario like this could happen. Affected Goose with the bird flu gets caught and eaten by a Coyote the coyote is now also affected, the Coyote attempts an attack on a deer but only wounds the deer with non fatal bites. DOES THIS MEAN THE DEER IS ALSO SCREWED>>????
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

Keep in mind turkey's often feed in the same corn and grain stuble fields that geese and puddle ducks do. I would think there is certainly potential for turkey's to become infected. As for coyotes and deer. I've never really heard if there is potnetial for those speices to become infected, but I guess if humans can so can other mammals. Generally speaking though I think most people that have been infected have been people the live and work in close proximity with poultry, so I would think that the liklehood of mamals with little contact with foul being infected is low. I suppose, however if a fox or coyote were to feed on infected bird they could be infected.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

fellas there has been stuff out there that could kill us and make us sick for a bit..nothin knew...keep huntin and dont worry...your days are numbered..enjoy them while you can..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I agree Hoss, I'm not concerned for myself. I am concerned that this virus could destroy the duck, goose and turkey populations given enough time. Wild birds are speading this virus along the migration routes as they go. It is already happening in Asia and Europe. I guess time will tell.
Last edited by Shakky on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I understand Shakky and I agree 1000%..I didnt mean to insinuate that man was the only concern..good point taken
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Is there any proof of the avian flu affecting species other than human?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"