How much land do you hunt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

How much land do you hunt?

Post by terry-1 »

I wonder how much land the average guy has to hunt nowdays with hunting lease's and price of land getting higher it seems every year? Right now I have my farm 740acres mostly river bottem cleared crop land with about 30% timbered and two hunting leases about 4500 acres combined. Thats the most I have had for years I was down to just my farm for several years but lucked into some good lease's with friends the last two years which had no where to go until we leased those two ranchs.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Oh let me see.....1...2...3..., yup about 3 acres. :lol: It's my own and deer can't help but come for some apples. At least I know I'll never be kicked off. :lol:

I back onto a large bush lot which contains a pile of deer. Good enough for a couple of does last year anyways.

Jay
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

We now have 646 acres of private property in Quebec which butts off to thousands of acres of crownland.

In Ontario we have 360 acres, that's counting a 140 acres we lease for next to nothing off of a family friend, which I keep a 17ft camper and my ATV on year round.

I just got permission to hunt on a 120 acre farm this year (thanks to my son)

I also have permission to hunt a big farm which has close to 600 acres about 20 minutes from my front door. This place is better to hunt during the early season when the crop fields haven't been cut down. After that the deer kinda disappear for the most part.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

xx
Last edited by Grizzly-Papa on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I have access to thousands of acres of private ground, I live in rural and farm country, and I always end up hunting the same 10 or 15 acres for turkey and deer every year. Leasing hasnt taken a hold here yet and I hope it dont or Im shafted.
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

1 tract of 3,000 acres, another almost 500 acres, another closely located to each other assorted tracts that total 500 acres, another 160 acres with a lake on it. All through a club membership. The club dues are high but membership is limited to 30 members. Oh and a new urban hunt area a guy asked would I help him with his deer overpopulation problem. Always ready to help a person in need ! <VBG>
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have access to about 800 acres, but mostly hunt on one 70 acre farm surrounded by the rest. I can plant foodplots & have a feeder set up on that small farm.
wabi
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Well I have been hunting in a club , the club has 17.000 acers .
Out of that , I probably hunt 20 or 30 acers , been getting two bucks a year . for some reason the does just would not show in bow season , for me anyway .
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

LoneWolf wrote:I also have permission to hunt a big farm which has close to 600 acres about 20 minutes from my front door. This place is better to hunt during the early season when the crop fields haven't been cut down. After that the deer kinda disappear for the most part.
Another thing about this property I mentioned above is that I'm not the only one who has permission to hunt it, and it gets hunted pretty hard during the shotgun season by the farmer himself and his group. They also hunt this farm with dogs, so the deer really get the pressure put on them. So needless to say the deer who make it through the shotgun hunt become VERY nocturnal and near impossible to see during daylight after the shotgun season, especially the mature animals.

There's also a few other guys who have permission to bowhunt this property as well, so I much rather hunt our own property where I know I won't be disturbed by someone who decides they wanna go for a stroll through the woods right at prime time. And besides, I know our property holds alot of deer including big bucks, and in that WMU hunting with dogs is not permitted so the deer don't get too much pressure there during the shotgun hunt, not on our property anyway. And the fact that we don't hunt that property with shotguns also helps a great deal.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

terry-1, I generally hunt on our property that my wife and I own, a little over 800 acres. About 3 miles of our property borders a huge forest about 65,000 acres in total, that's get very light hunting pressure. We our blessed here in Sask. where land is still reletively cheap. There's tons and tons of public land up north in Sask. (as there is in every province) where I go hunting for moose or Elk.

Grey Owl
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

I don't know but WMU 7B is pretty big :D
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

we have 2 sections of private land, & several hundred acres of public land.

h.j
they say he is still up there.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I hunt 100 acres in Uxbridge and feel lucky to have it. I have a good turkey and deer population on the farm. The only problem is there is a guy living in the farm house who likes to drive through the fields stoned or drunk. We have found him passed out in the middle of the field as the sun is coming up. Not good but its not my land and finding land that close to Toronto that people are willing to let you hunt on is very hard to find. I'm going to attempt to solve the problem but the guy is an in-law so it may be difficult.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Very little but enough :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I hunt both public and private land. Different WMU's. No idea of the total acreage. I have access to a friends farm and his neighbours for a total of 250 acres. Another property they have access to that I hunt with them is 300-400 acres. The only problem is hunting them all!! There is not enough time :? .
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"