"Didn't make it through winter" question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

"Didn't make it through winter" question

Post by chris4570 »

I posted this on the thread started by bushmaster, but no replys so I figured I would start a new thread.

With the topic of COs on the boards, just wondering what would happen if you were caught coming out of the woods with that deers head. How do you prove it wasn't poached? Killed out of season, without proper licencing, etc. and left to be picked up at a later date? What if it were wounded during hunting season, but never recovered/found, and there is evidence of either a bullet or arrow having killed the deer?

I know it is first come first serve to a road kill deer/bear/moose, but I believe it must be reported. Does the same hold true for winter killed/found animals?

I did find a deers head that had been hidden under some brush when I was 15(about 18 years ago ). I'm sure it was poached, as no hunting was allowed where I found it, Credit River in Mississauga. The head had been clearly cut off the body. With no success in contacting the MNR that night I went back the following day and hacked the antlers off. Probably not the right thing to do, but if whoever shot it came back they would know they had been "caught".

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
beaglelvr

Post by beaglelvr »

friend of mine had a cow tag a couple of years ago and thought he filled it. until he walked up a noticed it was a young bull, that had shed his rack early,called m.n.r and they came and checked it out and gave him no problems.
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

They art not considered sheds here, either. You are supposed to contact your CO, he will check it out, and then give you a FDW (Found Dead Wildlife ) permit if he deems you had nothing to do with the deer's demise.