Leupold Range Finder RX-1

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

larderlake

Leupold Range Finder RX-1

Post by larderlake »

Can anyone comment on this Rangefinder? I'm in the market for one and thought that if anyone has some input it would be helpful. They make a good scope and stand behind their product.

LL
terry-1

i liked it

Post by terry-1 »

I had one for about a month and really liked it until I dropped it into some high grass while hunting this fall and never could find it after looking several times.
silentdeath

rangfinders

Post by silentdeath »

get yourself a nikon scout. there small enough to fit in your shirt pocket and gives up to 800yrds
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

hi larderlake

i think if you would like to buy the leupold rx i would buy the rxII
here a link to a few range finder that you can compare
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... atcat20712

Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
Hawkeye

RX-III

Post by Hawkeye »

I'll be receiving my new RX-3 on Thursday. I'll let ya all know how I like it. The feature that sold me was the true ballistic range, for both arrows and bullets. There's not too many flat areas where I hunt, and I also hunt from tree stands, and figure it'll be nice to not have to figure distances on an incline. They also have the option of choosing 13 different reticles.
-Hawkeye
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were inconvenienced"
bjs

Bought one.

Post by bjs »

Bought one on sale at Cabelas for 229.00 US + tax. I liked the clarity, magnification factor, and the feel in my hand. The RX-II cost ~ $50.00 more for some additional features I don't need i.e. TBR. I don't gun hunt in the badlands or mountain areas where that feature would be most useful.
I haven't given it the "full field test", but I have ranged moving targets coming towards me (co-workers) as close as 3 yards. I've ranged some distant things with good results.
It fits in the breast pocket of my hunting jackets. I haven't played with the various reticle choices yet, (not that important to me) but I'll play with it later.
The Cabela sales guy said he sold the twelve RX-II's they received in, right away. Have fun!
larderlake

Post by larderlake »

Thanks to all for your advice and opinions I don't think I will go wrong with the RX-1 Your answers are very much appreciated .Sorry for your Luck Terry-1 on your lose but I guess thats good advise for me also

LL
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I just picked up the RX-1 today at Bass Pro for $225 (on sale) after comparing it with the Bushnell and Nikon models in the same price range. I'll be using it mostly for crossbow/muzzleloader. I found it to feel very "solid" in my hands with the 6x being about right for a handheld unit. It also seemed to range quicker than the Bushnell Scout, so we'll see what I think after using it more in the field.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Makomachine wrote:I just picked up the RX-1 today at Bass Pro for $225 (on sale) after comparing it with the Bushnell and Nikon models in the same price range. I'll be using it mostly for crossbow/muzzleloader. I found it to feel very "solid" in my hands with the 6x being about right for a handheld unit. It also seemed to range quicker than the Bushnell Scout, so we'll see what I think after using it more in the field.
Well, it didn't take long to figure out I DID NOT like this rangefinder. It is not as accurate as my older Bushnell binocular style rangefinder I bought in 1997. I confirmed distances via tape and it was off 2-3 yds compared to the Bushnell and tape - in under 20 yards to 40 yards! Just wanted to let everyone know about my experience - this one is going back to the store.

Anyone had any experience with the Bushnell Elite 1500? I'm interested in the ARC technology and think I'll stick with the brand I trust from now on...
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I purchased a Nikon Monarch Laser 800 Rangefinder for $299 from outdoorsexperience.com. I rifle hunt as well and thought this range finder would work for all situations. I have been using this season and it has great features and have had no problems.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Most I say most range finders in the mid price range tend to be - + 2-3 yards in the paper work. Mine (used) is 2 yards off 20 yrds is 22 yards and so on .... but close enough fer me.

Image wireless set up!!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
A.W

Re: i liked it

Post by A.W »

terry-1 wrote:I had one for about a month and really liked it until I dropped it into some high grass while hunting this fall and never could find it after looking several times.
Sounds like you know roughly where you lost it. Why not see if one of your buddies has a metal detector or rent one.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I got a RX-2 a week ago. I am still undecided but so far it hasn't worked to my expectations. I like the TBR function but I don't know if I can trust it because it doesn't seem too accurate. They advertise accuracy of + or - 1 yard but I held it still on a target of mine and ranged it several times and got readings of 19 through 24 yards. I also am discouraged because it doesn't work a lot of the time when I try to range things. I have tested it on the sides of houses, trees, wooden docks, cars and my block xbow target, all of which give me no readings. Leupold says it will not work well on dark surfaces but I had no idea that so many different things would get no results. I am wondering how it will do on dark colored deer or anything in low light conditions. I have not tested it enough yet but I think it may be useless in forest situations where there is a lot of twigs, branches, and other cover between you and your target. I am new to range finders so I am still learning. I may be using it inncorectly or with the wrong settings so don't take my word for certain but so far I am not pleased.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Went and looked again at the rangefinders at Bass Pro - couldn't find one that was calling for my money on an upgrade from my old binocular style Bushnell. Either too expensive or not the right fit. I liked the Nikon 440 size and accuracy but didn't care for the 8x view when being hand held. A little too difficult to hold on target to suit me - would be perfect with 6x. I liked the new Bushnell Elite with ARC but they are crazy at that price and a little more bulky than the others such as the Nikon and the Bushnell Scout. I think I'm going to wait it out and see what Christmas brings in new models.
Last edited by Makomachine on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I use the Leica 1200 scan model, can get readings 1000 meters plus. Small rugged and rain proof. The optics are also very bright. The next model up is even smaller fits into the palm of your hand and is totaly waterproof shock proof. Costs a bit but as they say you get what you pay for. I used to have the Bushnell 1000 scan model, not a patch on the Leica.
If it feels good, DO IT.