how small can fletching be??????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

how small can fletching be??????

Post by wabi »

Long story, but I'll try to be brief. I was having accuracy problems with the new Phoenix and was experimenting with different fletching. I have arrows fletched with 5" & 4" feathers and 4", 3", & the little "DuraVanes" vanes. My groups were constantly changing, and I discovered the problem wasn't the arrows it was the front sight. I won't go into details, but I have contacted Excalibur about the problem and I'm sure we'll find a solution.
When I found the problem I took the sights off & put my scope mount on with a Leupold Vari-X 2-7 in steel QD rings. My groups instantly went back to "don't shoot 2 arrows at the same bullseye" accuracy. I then tried Montec broadheads with all types fletching and they all shot right to point of aim! I'm wondering if the DuraVane and little 3" vanes will stabalize the broadheads why wouldn't a 2.25" feather work? I really like the looks of the 2.25" shield cut feathers, and I think they would look good on crossbow arrows!
Do you think they would work???????

wabi
Big John

vanes

Post by Big John »

wabi:

I've used four in. Feathers that are shield cut as well. That's the smallest feathers I've used so far and they grouped very nice with 5 deg. off-set.
The only thing I have a problem with is the durability of the feathers. Every time I walk the bush with Feathers they get damaged some how. :oops: but they are better, in my mind anyway. But since I'm such a Bush Bully with gear, I have to stick to Hunting with Vanes.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I'm not sure about the 2.25" feathers, I'm trying 4" parabolic feathers and they seem to work alright. I'm interested in your front sight problem with your Phoenix, I believe I may have the same problem with mine. No matter what I've tried, it keeps creeping on me.

regards
Joe
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
I think I'm going to try them. They are packed by the 100, so I wanted a few opinions before I ordered. I'll probably have to pay closer attention to FOC with them, but with the lack of spine issues with the crossbow I thought they might work. The DuraVanes are only 2" long and they work fine, plus the short length looks good on the short crossbow arrow.
What range of FOC should I be looking for?
wabi