brass vs aluminum inserts, novice questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GLC

brass vs aluminum inserts, novice questions

Post by GLC »

I've only had my Exocet since February and totally new to archery of any kind. I've only shot the Excalibur provided Laser II's with field points and aluminum inserts to this point.

What is the purpose and advantage of heavier brass inserts in the bolts? How does it affect speed and trajectory? Does the heavier bolt equal more penetration? Why would I want the heavier inserts? Or, why would I not want them?

Should I use the Excalibur provided Wasp's for hunting deer? Or, is there a better choice of broadhead. I realize that there are a bewildering variety of broadhead choices out there.

Thanks for the info.
wabi

Post by wabi »

With vanes the GoldTip Laser 2 arrow meets minimum weight with 100 grain points. With feather fletching and 100 grain points it's under minimum for all but the Vixen. The brass insert adds enough weight to use feather fletching.
Brass inserts are also an easy way to add weight to the front of the arrow for those trying to increase FOC (keeping the front of the arrow heavy to improve flight).
wabi
diesel

Post by diesel »

You have come to the correct place for questions. There is a lot of good people here that can help you and I.
Many of these same questions have been ask in the passed.
First go to excaliburs wed page and look under arrows or bolts. There you will see a lot of info on speed and the ki. (energy ) the bolt hits with.
Next go back to the forum and do a search on FOC ( flight of center ),
or bolt question , Vanes. Sorry I'm not smart enough to post the links to my reply or I would save you the time of looking them up.
When I want to know what the FOC of my bolts are I go to Gold Tips wed page and look under products you will find a form you just put in the weight of you parts ant it will tell you your FOC. You do have to use gold tip bolts for your FOC to come out correctly.
Hope this helps
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Always learning!!
Home fer now!
navaman

Post by navaman »

boy oh boy !! that's the question i've been asking myself and pesterering many people with all day. i finally talked to dan miller. what a guy ! he explained that although it would decrease the velocity out of my vixen i would like the flight better and see better groupings and yes i would have increased energy. i'm going to shoot them all day saturday, God willing , and if i don't like them dan said to call him and he would sell me the bolts (arrows?) with the aluminum inserts. i'll get back to ya'll

p.s. without knowing any better i think i would rather have those extra 15 or 20 fps
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."