How do you home-bolt-makers make your bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tommy-SKIL-Figure

How do you home-bolt-makers make your bolts

Post by Tommy-SKIL-Figure »

This is mainly for Gary L because I know he makes a lot of bolts but anyone who wants can reply obviously, any information would help me.

I have been searching around on the net but to no avail to find information of step by step processes for making crossbow bolts out of carbon shafts. What is the general process, do you cut the carbon tube to size then add knocks or fletching first etc etc. I am specifically interested on how to add fletching with wraps.

I ask all of this because I want to get into making my own bolts because buying over the net from o/s is expensive and the archery store nearest to me makes bolts that arent that fantastic and I also feel it is a personal thing. Pictorial replies would be awesome to help me understand some technical terminology.

Thanks,

Thomas
Ambition is the excuse for those who do not have the guts to be lazy
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Tommy-SKIL-Figure thanks for the vote of confidence but many on the forum are super at making their own xbow bolts/arrows. To name a couple bstout, wabi, GREYWOLF and others.

1 - You can buy the shafts blank and or all ready cut to length of which I get 20" the standard in length for most of the Excaliburs and other xbows.

2 - Then you need to buy your inserts for front and rear, Alum. for rear and Alum., or brass for the front depending on how much FOC you want.

3 - Decide on vanes or feathers, myself I loves the feathers.

4 - Glue and cleaning fluid for shafts and flecthing.

5 - I like and recommend the Arizona easy flecther as it is easy and quick. However there are a number of good flecthing jigs out there.

The wraps can be purchased from a number of Archery shops but are a little on expensive side, however I have found that the vanes or feathers do hold better when applied over a lacquer paint or wraps.

Will do a search for ya, and see what I come up with.

GREYWOLF use's wraps and also has a link which has been posted if I can find it for custom wraps. Hang tight as I am sure many of the forum members can lead you thru this .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Here is a link to a video showing how to crest a arrow with paint rather than wraps. Full credit to Woody Williams for it,he posted it on a previous thread. http://www.texastrackers.com/Videos/Arrows.wmv
Should be much cheaper than buying wraps!
..Al.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have been doing my own arrows for 6 years plus. It is not to difficult, our own garyL has a clip here somewhere showing how to use the arizona easy fletch. I use a grayling jig and have several different clamps Right Helical, left helical and a straight clamp.

As far as customizing you can use wraps, dip (the Bohning company has kits ) and then crest, or paint them as per the other video listed here. I have been using automotive Base Clear to do the same as the fellow with the spray cans, my finish is much harder. The color combos are up to your imagination. I have done bolts for some of my friends in the USA with a red, white and blue fade and red white and blue vanes. They did look sweet.

Do not be afraid to try, if you make a mistake strip the shaft down and try again.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Thanks so much for the link to the arrow cressting. That's just what I wanted to know. If you could buy paint in a can at Home Depot Or if atuo paint would work. Looks like the big thing is make sure you use Laquer base paint , or the fletching will not stick to the paint.
Thanks again Alinalberta and Farmer.
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

Where can you get the blank shafts? I would love to start making my own bolts and setting up my own vanes and wraps. What about the fletcher from cabelas, its about 64 bucks and says you can do all vanes at once.
navaman

Post by navaman »

i'm still trying to figure out how the wraps work. i know they look nice. i'm considerering learning how to make my own arrows too. kind of like when i bought my sidelock muzzle loader. i just had to learn how to cast my own bullets and round balls. there's just a greater sense of accomplishment.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

BuckBuster, you can get the bare shaft at most any archery shop, Cabelas or Bass Pro should have them. You can also try Archer's Nook here in Canada they have a web site with prices as well
Tommy-SKIL-Figure

Post by Tommy-SKIL-Figure »

Thanks for the input everyone, especially to GaryL and ALINALBERTA for the tips and video.

Like navaman I am still tring to understand how to apply wraps as well. Could anyone help out with information on this?
Ambition is the excuse for those who do not have the guts to be lazy
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Tommy-SKIL-Figure wrote:Thanks for the input everyone, especially to GaryL and ALINALBERTA for the tips and video.

Like navaman I am still tring to understand how to apply wraps as well. Could anyone help out with information on this?
GREYWOLF can sure tell ya.... :D Anyhow's the wraps come on a sheet and you peel off one, have a small table or box to lay the wrap on that you can roll your arrow/bolt on flat. Lay the wrap sticky side up and lay your arrow/bolt on the wrap linning up the edge at the top where you want the wrap to start, slowly roll you bolt/arrow across the wrap and bing-O- one done. Sounds harder then it is. If you buy the commercially made wraps instructions come with them .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D GaryL is right , 1) get a mouse pad 2) wipe shaft down with alcohol
3) lay out wrap sticky side up on mouse pad 4) line up shaft without rear insert with rear edge of wrap 5) roll shaft wiith your palms over wrap makeing sure its straight with even preasure WALA DONE GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

I refletched my Thunderbolts today, and I didn't do the greatest job, but they're flying straight so oh well. Think I'll buy some Gold Tips tomorrow.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks GREYWOLF as I sure did leave out a important part (clean shaft with with alcohol :oops: ) .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

anyone use that blizenberg flecher? I was wondering if it's worth the money?
pokynojoe

bitzenberg

Post by pokynojoe »

I have used the bitz in the past. I use the Arizona EZ fletcher exclusively now. I have had good success with it for both bolts and arrows.

Joe