Turkey season's over here....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Turkey season's over here....

Post by wabi »

And I failed to fill the second tag :(
But still had a great time and added to my knowledge of the bird's habits.
I nailed one at the start of season, but then relaxed and didn't put as much effort into filling the second tag. As the end of season approached I tried to work in a few more hunts, but also tried to avoid crowding the landowner when he had a day off and could hunt. I was sure the no-till planted cornfield adjoining his property (I also have permission to hunt there) would be the spot, and it was, but the only tom that was strutting and gobbling just wasn't interested in moving a couple hundred yards to let me fill my tag. Had several hens pass real close, but the bearded romeo just wasn't going out of his way to look for companionship.
I tried the last two mornings to entice him to visit me, and he wasn't buying my imitations of a love sick hen. Guess I need to practice calling more. :wink:
BTW - the landowner told me he had been trying the same strategy at the same field and struck out, too. At least I know there is plenty of hens & toms left to boost the population for next season! :D
wabi
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Wabi,
It has been really tough around here. I'd consider myself a very fair caller. I have killed about 20 birds, and could not get a break this year. Seemed early, birds gobbled, but were hened up. I just could not find that one lonely tom. When their hot, their hot, and when their not, their not. I wanted so bad to get one with the excalibur, and have one more day. I'm going to give 100%. First thing, I'm going to make a move, and hunt some other property. Hey, since no one is responding to my post, how about taking a look, and see if you ever noticed this on your excalibur. I bought an exocet, and am going to give the phoenix to my daughter. around the limb tips, it is rough, and I though about putting some epoxy, but now, just thinking of some hot glue, what do you think? The bow works great, tiller is right on, shoots great, I was just a little woried about maybe a splinter starting, if the tip should hit a tree or rock, while hunting. Check my post out, and see what you think. I live right on the Ohio, WV, Pa border, maybe we could get together for a OH turkey hunt next spring. Supposed to be a good state park to hunt somewhere down there. Talk later. Butcher.
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
wabi

Post by wabi »

Butcher,
I'm not sure what could be wrong with the limbs, but I would sure call Excalibur & complain. I'm sure they will listen & help solve the problem.
As for a turkey hunt - sounds good. I hunt private property, but I can get permission for you to hunt. Went fishing there yesterday evening, and saw 4 jakes together in a field as we drove in. Maybe by next spring they will be sporting longer beards.
wabi