Muzzy vs slick trick

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Muzzy vs slick trick

Post by crazyfarmer »

i see its alot of slick trick fans here.. has anyone shot the 3 or 4 blade muzzy heads on these bows? If so, how do you like? I use to swear by the 3blade muzzy 100's on my compound. But im guessing they would need tuning to fly perfect? Would a 4 blade 100grain muzzy fly better?

orrrrrr would the slick tricks fly the best and work better for deer?

Im not as wasp fan.. i use to use them years ago but I had trouble bleeding deer with them. I know to each his own though;)

either way, whatever I get will be 100grain heads im sure
diesel

Post by diesel »

I really like the Slick trick Or the WASP 125 Jack Hammers 1 3/4" . You just need to use two orings on the Jack Hammers. Boy do they cut a big hole.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I have tested Muzzy 115 4 blades and 125 3 blades: with my compound they fly well and I have used them many times with succes in hunt, but with my Exomax with a speed of 320 fps, the trajectory is very different respect field points. So, Muzzy are fine broadheads but for speed less than 260fps.

Matthias
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The 125 grain Slick Trick field point and broadheads fly to the same point of aim, and have worked well out of both my Exomag and Exomax.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I use the 100 gr tricks with 4 blades, im very happy with them, same point of impact as field points big hole lots of blood and good penetration. The only way for you to know if they are good for you is to try some, good luck.
If it feels good, DO IT.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Matthias72 wrote:I have tested Muzzy 115 4 blades and 125 3 blades: with my compound they fly well and I have used them many times with succes in hunt, but with my Exomax with a speed of 320 fps, the trajectory is very different respect field points. So, Muzzy are fine broadheads but for speed less than 260fps.

Matthias
just what i needed to know.. they always did me well on my compound but thats probably shooting 240-260fps roughly..

so im sure they might fly a little different at 290-320fps.. ill probably give the slick ones a try this fall
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

oh and I read that their blades arent that sharp outta the box? Do you have to sharpen them before hunting? If so, what are ya'll using to sharpen the blades. My muzzy's were always RAZOR sharp out of the package
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I dont sharpen mine from the packet. Once used I use a points file, just grip the blade with vice grips (use a folded piece of paper to avoid scratching in the jaws) and file carefully. I dont stone or strop on leather but they still work fine, had a complete pass through from shoulder to exit back leg on deer with a used broad head sharpened this way, heaps of hemorage. Just my way of doing things, depends on how fussy you are. to get broad heads scapal sharp you may need to stone and strop but I am happy with the way mine work with file. fast easy no fuss with results.
If it feels good, DO IT.
Duey

Post by Duey »

I shoot muzzy 4 blade 100 grain with out of exomag they fly the same as the field tips. Wouldn't change for nothing but that's just me.

Duey
Duey

Post by Duey »

I shoot muzzy 4 blade 100 grain with out of exomag they fly the same as the field tips. Wouldn't change for nothing but that's just me.

Duey
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

For moose I shoot the 4 blade 130 grain Muzzy out of my Paradox and have shot them out of an ExoMax and Exocet 200, as was mentioned above the POI is right in there with my field points.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I shoot three bladed 125gr Muzzys. They fly great out of my Exocet. And they are super accurate. Head shots on squirrel at 25 yards are possible!!!! :D
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I first bought an exomax, and the slick tricks shot great. I found out it was illegal in my state(pa), because we were not allowed to use anything over 200 lb pull. So check your state's law. I then bought a phoenix. For some reason, it likes the muzzy 100 three blade. I can shoot asprins at 20 yds (benchreasted of course) with the muzzy and 2219 shafts. Well my daughter turned 12, and can hunt, so I gave her the phoenix, and I bought a exocet. I hope it shoots muzzy's. they have been my favorite head, and I have killed 29 whitetails with them. I have also found that even the slick trick out of my max or phoenix, did not fly like field points. Niether did the muzzy's. I would have to spin the inserts, true everything up, then everyting flew good. That is why I don't shoot carbons, once glued in, I don't think you can adjust anything to get them to fly better. I'm going to try 2216's out of the phoenix, and try to gain a few fps, but have killed a deer and a coyote with it. Tried to get a turkey, and came real close sealing the deal, but they saw something wrong. Truth of the matter, I have found nothing that flies exactly like field points, except field points. Muzzy and Slick Tricks are close, but for the price, you can get 6 muzzy's vs 3 slick tricks, and the results I've gotten, Muzzy's are my choice hands down.
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

There is a review on a number of broadheads there is one for the Muzzy 4 Blade here is a link

http://btreviews.proboards57.com/index. ... eplacement
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

muzzy also has a new 100gr 4blade I see... Im thinking about that one. Sinc eits so new, im not sure how well it fly's though. The blades are supposed to be thicker then the old design also.

anyone seen or tried those? I cant remember the name, but cabelas has them in there and they say brand new under the name