rope cocking aid

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tee

rope cocking aid

Post by Tee »

Visited the local archery range yesterday and sighted in my new Phoenix. Really like that crossbow.

I purchased the accessory package with the scope which came with the rope cocking aid and also purchased the crankaroo separately (think of it as insurance). Tried the rope cocking aid first - it really takes the work out of cocking the crossbow. After about 8 or 12 rounds with the rope cocking aid, I decided to try the crankaroo. It is much easier - no work at all in cranking that device - really good insurance.

I much prefer the rope aid over the crankaroo. I can both "feel" and hear the string latch with the rope aid. I can neither "feel" nor hear the string latch with the crankaroo.

The crank removes all "feel" in the cocking process and the ratchet on the crankaroo isn't loud, but loud enough that I could't hear the string latch. Thus, I really wasn't positive that it had latched.

That led to a lot of doubt as I eased the tension. I wasn't too sure if the crank was going to go wild and "dry fire". Also, the rathet release is under the string and in front of the crank. Trying to reach the release with my left hand while keeping the crank gripped firmly with my right hand was nerve wracking. Took about a half dozen releases before I was comfortable on letting go of the crank handle.

Only used the crankaroo once. I'll be using the rope aid 99.99999% of the time and using the crankaroo only when I'm far too tired to manage the 87.5 lb pull of the rope aid.
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Well, you could shorten or lengthen the string on your crankaroo a" bit". That way the latch would engage on your bow at a different time than when the ratchet was engaging and making its noise.

Also try slowing down your winding speed as you get close to the point where the bow latch should be engaging. The bow latch and crank ratchet have different sounds that should be easily distinguishable.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Well, you could shorten or lengthen the string on your crankaroo a" bit". That way the latch would engage on your bow at a different time than when the ratchet was engaging and making its noise.

Also try slowing down your winding speed as you get close to the point where the bow latch should be engaging. The bow latch and crank ratchet have different sounds that should be easily distinguishable.
Not only can I hear the safety click into place , but I can feel the mechanism's vibration clicking it into place.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i dont like the crankaroo just because it sounds like a playing card in a bike's wheel. Thats fine if you cock the bow before hunting, but in the stand or close to it, well.. that isnt gonna work lol
the elf

Post by the elf »

To deaden the sound let your fingers of your other hand lightly touch the ratchet lever as you are cranking-----kills the noise and you can still hear the click when it latches-----it sounds different than ratchet noise---works for me------Elf.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

crazyfarmer wrote:i dont like the crankaroo just because it sounds like a playing card in a bike's wheel. Thats fine if you cock the bow before hunting, but in the stand or close to it, well.. that isnt gonna work lol
Elf is right.

In fact you can eliminate ALL ratchet noise if you hold the lever back so that it doesn't contact a cog. It requires caution, though. You are winding the crank with no lock to protect against the back pressure. So, don't let it slip, or afterwards you may be able to count your fingers faster because you have one or two fewer....

I had to do that with my Exomax last fall. I was in my tree stand with a wounded game animal laying down about 35 yards away. I tried to recock my bow by hand, but couldn't from a seated position. I had to use my crankaroo, and also stop it from the ratcheting noise. I can tell you that when the string latched, I thought it was as loud as a car door slamming! Fortunately, it didn't frighten off my game, and when he stood up, I plugged him again, and that finished the job.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.