Best gps unit

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sidekick

Best gps unit

Post by sidekick »

I'm shopping for a gps unit. I'd thought I'd ask you good folks your experiences with different units. My price range is up to about $250 to $300. There's lots out there and I was curious how much of the gizmos are just bells and whistles and how much of it is actually useful.
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/KOhunter/EXCAL25.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/KOhunter/exocet20050.jpg[/img]
The two keys to a succesfull life-
"PASSION" and "COMPASSION" !!!
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

sidekick,,,,, I have three made by Lowrance. I'm presently using an iFinder Hunt, which uses a SD card and am very happy with it. I also have and use a Map Guide 100 and a Map Guide Pro from Lowrance which I also use and am very happy with them. Lowrance has come out with an iFinder Hunt C [color].
Terry

Quad 300 x2
Bucktail

GPS

Post by Bucktail »

Sidekick,

I agree with Moxie. I have the same three units he has, and have been very happy with them.

I also use their GPS/Fishfinders on my boat also.

Even use a GPS 19C in my truck.

Bucktail
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have a Lowrance GlobalMap 100 a good B&W gps and a Magellan SportTrak color model which I use regularly now.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I've got a Lowrance GlobalNav 200 and I've never used it once, mint condition. Can anyone tell me if this is a good GPS?

Grey Owl
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I use a Garmin Etrex, reads quite well through the canopy, I simply place way points on a map from my computer them upload them to my GPS, print a map out of the area , laminate it and away I go. I am very confident if I have a map compas & GPS torch and survival blanket, I just go where my instinct wants to go, exploring via satelites is the new way to go hunting, its not what it used to be.
Good luck with your choice
If it feels good, DO IT.
sidekick

Post by sidekick »

Moxie wrote:sidekick,,,,, I have three made by Lowrance. I'm presently using an iFinder Hunt, which uses a SD card and am very happy with it. I also have and use a Map Guide 100 and a Map Guide Pro from Lowrance which I also use and am very happy with them. Lowrance has come out with an iFinder Hunt C [color].
Any idea what kind of price tag I'd be looking at?
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Sidekick, if your still looking for a GPS unit, I'd be willing to look at selling mine. I've never once used it, only taking it outside and playing with it. It was recommended to me by an instrument technician at work.

I'd be taking a loss on it, for the simple fact I never used it. I never did jive with electronics.

P. M. me if your interested.

Grey Owl
A.W

Post by A.W »

I have the Etrex Legend and like it. Remember though that it is electronic. You should also carry a compass just in case.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
sidekick

Post by sidekick »

A.W wrote:I have the Etrex Legend and like it. Remember though that it is electronic. You should also carry a compass just in case.
Always have...always will! Darn things seem to go on the fritz from time to time though. I KNOW that the truck is back the other way. :wink: :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use the one WalMart had on sale :lol: :wink:
It's a Magellan, but I'd have to look to see what model. I'd say they all work similarly, a lot depends on how many bells & whistles come with the package. I also bought a topo map program to go along with it, and can upload/download maps to & from my computer. I can take it along and then connect it to the computer when I get home and highlight the route I traveled on the map on the computer.
wabi
rabuol

Nothing beats my Garmin 60CSx

Post by rabuol »

Want realibility...and the capability of getting a read even inside your house...even under cover in the bush...then the answer is the Garmin 60CSx.

I never leave home without it...it even has turn by turn capability.

Rabuol
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I've got a Lowrance GlobalNav 200 and I've never used it once, mint condition. Can anyone tell me if this is a good GPS?

Grey Owl
I can tell you it's no longer supported by Lowrance and it is a Marine type GPS. As for what it might be worth, I've no idea.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Moxie, I have absolutely no idea what your talking about when you say Marine. I've gone through the whole Installation and Instruction Manual, and not one place in there it says or mentions the word Marine. Yes, I suppose you could use it on water, but it has capabilties to plot waypoints on land.

This GPS is way to complex for me, it was recommended to me by a Instumentation Technician here at work, who is a big time hunter. He uses his all the time.

What little I know about it, it does have three different ways to get around in the bush.

1. Plotter... this shows you on a screen with a line just how your walking.

2. Nav screen... This shows you on a compass your bearing.

3. Windows... Which has 15 different groups, and 35 different windows.

As for whats its worth, on April 07 1999 I paid $299.95 plus tax of $39.00 the total was $338.95 Canadian funds.

Grey Owl
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Grey Owl,,,,, Lowrence had classifications for their different GPS units. Marine, outdoors, aviation and automotive. The Global Nav 200 was designed and made for use on water. I went into the Lowrance site and could no longer find that GPS unit supported by Lowrance.
Terry

Quad 300 x2