Any ottawa xbow hunter's here??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bucklandman

Any ottawa xbow hunter's here??

Post by bucklandman »

Just wondering if there are more Ottawa area hunter's frequenting this forum???

You have any luck last fall? :?:

And what area of ottawa do you hunt?? :?:

I'm in the south eastern( Navan vars!) area. good quality deer here!!!
Also hunt dunrobin area as well as kemptville
Got 3 last fall and 2 previous fall... :lol:
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Yeah, I also hunt the Ottawa area as a non-resident (being from the QC side). I shoot in archery my traditional recurve, or my Exocet 175.

I started hunting last Fall in ON, after wanting to do it for many years.

Hunted once near Constance Lake, where I missed a huge buck.

The second time was with friends that invited me on a property west of Carleton Place.

Obtained permission to hunt (archery only) this Fall on an retired office colleague's private proprety, where I tried my luck with my crossbow this Spring on Wild Turkey (missed that gobbler also).

Hope to increase my chances this year.

Hunt bear and moose on the QC side.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
Buck Fever

Post by Buck Fever »

That's funny Legrand. I also hunt West of Carleton Place. :roll:

I was very lucky last year and got 4 deer with the crossbow.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I do my deer hunting in the Long-Sault area.
I also hunt deer in the Larose Forest and a farm about 20 minutes West of home.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'm possably moving to Ottawa, but I doubt I'll be hunting in Ottawa since I won't know anyone that fast.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I can show you where you can find some public land if that'll help you any. You got the Marlboro Forest in North Gower which is huge. and there's alot of deer in there, big deer too.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TYE

Post by TYE »

LoneWolf wrote:I can show you where you can find some public land if that'll help you any. You got the Marlboro Forest in North Gower which is huge. and there's alot of deer in there, big deer too.
If I move to Ottawa, then that sounds like an idea. :)

My friend goes to College in Ottawa and he needs a roommate. So I'm thinking about movin' there. Probably work and party all the time. :lol:
wallymax

Post by wallymax »

I live in Kanata and hunt up near Perth. There are lots of deer around. I got one with the bow and one with a rifle last year. It was my first year with the bow. The area near Perth we own specifically for deer. Planted food plots for the first time also last year. Amazing amount and size of deer you can attract. We have turkeys there too but have never got one.

Used to hunt up near Calabogie about 80k west of Ottawa on crown land. Tougher hunting. Hunt moose up near Kirkland Lake 6 hrs northwest. Bit far but nice country. We've got moose the last 2 years.

Would like to get out to Newfoundland and do a Caribou hunt. Had some caribou meat couple years ago and it was suprisingly amazing.
bucklandman

Post by bucklandman »

TYE wrote:I'm possably moving to Ottawa, but I doubt I'll be hunting in Ottawa since I won't know anyone that fast.
I'm always open to helping out fellow hunters as well as meeting new local ones as well..

If you ever do move to ottawa don't hesitate to give me a shout..

I hunt the navan & vars area have around 35 acres of farmland and about 200 acres of bush to hunt,,and have done really well over the last few years.. :wink: :wink:
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
JR

Post by JR »

I hunt in the St-Andrews area. Lots of deer in SD&G. You're not too far from me Lonewolf. TYE, If you're ever stuck, ya got my e-mail addy!

-JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
xboman

Ottawa hunters

Post by xboman »

Was in Ottawa. Now in Rockland.

Hunt Manitoulin Island where I bought land.

Here's a short description.

Everything a deer hunter could ask for is on that 200 acres of private land. There’s a 40-45 acres alfalfa field bordered by a combination of hardwoods and cedars and those who prefer to hunt the edges favour this section. Those who talk about hunting the crafty bucks, which somehow manage to remain invisible, will venture out to the dark blackened cedar swamps located roughly in the middle of the property. You’ll also find the deer shack, which is a converted trailer (no electricity or running water), the ever popular out-house, a large barn, and a separate home-made sauna conveniently situated about 25 yards from a small flowing creek which passes through my little gem of land. Lastly, roughly 40 tree stands are strategically located by deer trails, known runways or with a view of that alfalfa field.

Completely missed 2004 seasona nd wrote this afterwards:

A Place I Wait Too Long For

When days turn cool
And the leaves transform to red
To the cabin and my hunting grounds
I can be counted on to head

Where a hunter is not troubled
I am ultimately drawn
Where a doe can be spotted
With two healthy fawns

Away from city rush
Back to simple, easy tasks
And in the evening quick to bed
After a few swigs from the flask

And walk I would to get there
If I had to, mile after mile
With heavy gear on my back
I’d still arrive there with a smile

With a sense of inner peace
I’d watch my hand push open the door
When after the cabin’s porch is reached
I can enter a place, I wait too long for

xboman
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

BuckFever, you sure don't carry your name, if you shot 4 deer last Fall :lol:

Maybe will meet around Carleton Place one day this Fall :wink:

Ever heard the story of two guys coming back from hunting all-day and having to pick-up a freshly struck buck on the highway to have meat for sausage :roll:
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

BuckFever, you sure don't carry your name, if you shot 4 deer last Fall :lol:
Hey LeGrand, He's even got a new hat with a nice embroidered 10 point buck and the name "Buck Fever" on the front of it!.... :wink:
Ontario Trophy Bucks
NightTrain

Post by NightTrain »

I as well am from the Ottawa area. Kars to be exact. Last year was my first year hunting ever. It didn’t take me long to realize how effective a good crossbow would be as I passed on a doe for distance reasons with my bow. A distance easily attainable with a crossbow. I purchased my Phoenix late in the season last year. I cant wait to start a season with a crossbow in hand. I sure hope to bag my first deer this up coming fall.

I live 10 mins from the Marlbro Forrest. Never hunted or scouted it though. Can someone give me some advice on which parts of the Forrest to focus on? My basic knowledge of the forest is clearly not sufficient.

Thanks
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

NightTrain,

Go down the Roger Stevens Rd from North-Gower until you see the first Marlboro Forest sign, it's on your right-hand side if you're coming from North-Gower. There will be some little tote roads going into the forest on your left hand-side not far from that sign, you can go into anyone of them tote roads and start from there.

If I were you I'd go in further back and deeper into the forest. Them little tote roads go pretty deep into that forest. And don't be suprised if you find some moose tracks in there as well. I was in there a couple of years ago and found some moose sign. You can drive your truck right into these roads without a problem, but an ATV would be a bit more convienient.
Ontario Trophy Bucks