Ontario's Moose Tag Lottery System

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LoneWolf

Ontario's Moose Tag Lottery System

Post by LoneWolf »

Got this from another site.

Check out www.gillesbisson.ca

He's looking to change the Ontario's moose tag lottery system.

I voted to go with a system similar to Quebec's.

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I guess I posted this on the wrong site.

I guess there ain't many Ontario moose hunters who frequent this forum, either that or you just don't give a damn.

Don't worry guys, you don't have to be NDP to cast your vote you know.

FYI, I'm not NDP.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

For the first time in nearly 20 years of moose hunting I did not enter the lotterey draw. It is my way of boycotting an unfair system that now caters to outfitters and special groups in this province.

Forcing people to buy a lottery license year after year in order for them to remain in Pool 1 for the following years draw with practically no chance of being successful amounts to the government stealing from people in my opinion.

I now vote with my dollar as this is the only thing governments seem to understand these days.

When there is enough of us that protest then maybe they will finally adopt a fairer system like the province of Quebec.

Enough said! :x

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I hear ya, Claude.

Whats up with them allocating more tags to the Northern residents anyway?

We pay the same taxes as the Northern residents pay.

In my opinion, that is absolutely nothing but complete BS.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

This was the first year I applied to the lottery and have to admit it is quite disappointing to be told in the registration process that my licence fee was just donated without a chance at a tag.

I applied as a group and we are hoping that one of the six are "lucky" in the lottery.

When reading the postings in the discussion, I guess I'm looking at years without being successful.

Looking at the three options put forward in the vote, I would have to go with a similar system as Quebec. All I know is the system needs to change.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

I quit moose many years ago - along with everyone in the group I hunted with. The moose licences are simply a tax grab. Buy your licence and you are guarantied not to get a tag for how many years?

When hunters stopped buying moose licences because they could not get tags the deer licences started going up.

I strongly disagree with the current wildlife management regulations. For many years there were not many deer and therefore a lower hunter success rate. Now we have many deer and we are able to buy extra tags - but we still have the same season (I am referring to the gun hunt in particular - the majority of hunters). I think that if management was serious about reducing the population they should EXTEND the season and number of tags that come with a licence.

Same problem with geese - 5/day 10/possession? I go out once a year - I would like to get my possession limit. What possible difference could this make?

They can keep their moose.
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

Had to say all that; sorry. :oops:

I voted on the web link above - I agree that QC has a better system.

I also disagree with the fishing regulations but those should be changing for 2007. :shock:

http://www.ofah.org/FishResources/index.cfm?ID=15

Ok I am done now... 8)
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Wish the Quebec side would adopt the Ontario side for deer hunting regs, then I would have both worlds :D
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
wallymax

Post by wallymax »

I am fortunate enough to belong to a well organized group of about 20 guys. Normally this would guar·an·tee us 2 tags. This year you need 11 guys for a tag, up from 9, so we only get one tag. If we are successful, thats about 5 small packages of meat. Thats if you are successful and doing everything right. You couldn't get any more tags if you hired a big game lawyer, if there was such a thing. It costs about $1k a guy once all said and done. I realize the entertainment factor, but I hunt for meat and that is my entertainment.
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I will have to agree with Bowster. It is just not fair for the hunters like myself that have to travel 20 hrs just to go moose hunting, and have a lesser chance to draw a tag. The Ontario moose draw should not favour hunters that live in the northern part.
I'am sure there are some nothern residents here on this forum that should have some comments on this.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

There should be no favouritism granted because you live closer to the game. The moose in no more theirs than it is is any of ours.

I've never hunted moose, but would like to one day try it. I would probably never get a tag for an adult moose hunting solo, but I would gladly start with a calf. I guess if I really want to go after an adult moose I would be better off booking with an outfitter in Newfoundland.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
chessy

Post by chessy »

the government already plays favourites to other people why not people that live in the north ..... the whold fish and game act needs a complete over haul and so does our constitution
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I haven't hunted moose for several years now. My last trip was a fly in. No one in thr group even saw a moose. The fishing was good, but a fishing trip would have been much cheaper. With all the deer tags we can get now and the occaional goose hunt, I seldom venture far from home to hunt. Don't get me wrong the throught of having an opportunity to harvest one of those big buggers really gets my blood going. But the odds of getting a tag with a small group is almost zero. With a larger group you might be guaranteed a tag, but the with a large group the chance that I might get the chance to shoot one again also seems pretty remote. For my money, close to home I can get tags to shoot as many deer as I could ever want to with a variety of weapons (bow, rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader). No 20 hour drives and lots cheaper. For my money, I think my next big hunting excursion will either be Quebec caribou or Newfoundland moose (oh to dream).
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I have to say I like it the way it is. The group I go with are all archery and we only need two guys to get a bull tag. there are 5 of us so we are guaranteed a tag every year. Now we may not be the best moose hunters in the world but if I understand the Quebec way we would only be getting a bull tag every three years? Well I'm not driving 15 hours to try and locate a cow or calf. I'm sure a lot get taken every year with archery but your odds have to be better with a bull in rut.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Big Ugly,

You don't only get a bull tag once every three years in Quebec. It's not the way it works in the province.

However, non-residents have to go through an Outfitter to hunt moose and bear, but not for deer.

This is the way the Quebec system works.

Check this link.

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publ ... t-plan.asp
Ontario Trophy Bucks