New to forum broadhead and arrow ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

New to forum broadhead and arrow ?

Post by M&M »

Hi everyone I just got a new exocet 200 for fathers day, I have been drooling over this thing every time I go to the gun shop for many months but my wife and son came through. I am not new to crossbow hunting I have used a horton hunter for 15 years now and have had good luck with it I have shot 125 grain NAP Thunderheads for years and they have served me well, but with my newer faster bow will they fly OK or how about the 100 grain thunderhead? how much diference in velocity can I expect between the 100 and 125 grainer? and how about the xx75 2216 easton arrows? greatful for any input you may have. M&M
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Hello M&M I use the exocet 175 , also Thunderhead`s one hundred grain , I think you would like either one , that`s what I had a lot`s of when I got my bow , they fly well same as my Field points , I don`t plan to change .
diesel

Post by diesel »

M&M
Welcome to the forum. You will love the Exocet 200. You will need to try them and see what works for you. I like Slick Tricks or Wasp Jack Hammers . Both of them 125gr.
wabi

Post by wabi »

There's no shortcut to actually testing the arrow/broadhead combination you like in the crossbow you'll be shooting it from. You may be fine with that setup, but you need to shoot it to find out. I had problems with the SlickTrick everyone likes so well until I changed my fletching angle on my arrows.
For the most forgiving ("just like field points") flight a mechanical is usually forgiving of small problems with arrows, but mechanicals can be subjected to a lot of stress when shot from the newer, more powerful crossbows, and ones like the JakHammer usually have to be double-banded to prevent opening in flight. I'm still testing JakHammers after I had these problems. I like the JakHammer's flight and cutting ability, but I've had some problems with them opening in flight. Tried using a heavier O-ring and thought that was the answer, but it didn't work out. I guess double banding is the best way to go.
The best fixed blade broadhead I've found is the G-5 Montec. Groups right with my field points, but it takes a lot of work on the stone to get them sharp & keep them sharp. I see the have a new replacement blade model out this year that looks very similar, and I might give them a try.
wabi
M&M

Post by M&M »

thanks for the input wabi. a few years ago I tried some mechanical points they flew great grouped nice, but... my brother and I both used them me in my old horton and him in a ten point, but when he shot a deer with them they failed to open fortunatly he got a second shot at the deer and put it down but both broadheads failed to open so that kind of turned me off to mechanicals I figure the fixed blade type doesn't have to do anything else but fly right, stay together, and make a good wound channel M&M
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

M&M wrote:I figure the fixed blade type doesn't have to do anything else but fly right, stay together, and make a good wound channel M&M
The same reason I use a fixed-blade broadhead!! Less can go wrong. Why chance it? I currently use Muzzys. 125gr, 3 blade broadheads. I figure if I can I can hit the vitals on a squirrel at twenty-five yards a deer should not be a problem.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
xringer

Broadhead Selection

Post by xringer »

I just ordered my new Exomax. I ordered also the accessory kit that comes with broadhead, field tips, and arrows. I think it comes with Thunder head 100s for the broadheads. I was wondering if they hit pretty close to the same point of aim as the field tips, or are there any other broadheads that are better for this. Are there any mechanical broadheads out there that work well with the hard shooting Excaliber bows. I've heard they tend to open up before they hit thier target.

Thanks for any input.......Vince :shock: :shock:
M&M

Post by M&M »

with my old horton the thunderhead 125 hit very close to the same as the field point, but after the initial sighting in I never shot field points again I have allways just shot my broadheads I usually by a new set each season and use the old ones for target practice M&M
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

supposedly the slick tricks are the best for these bows.. i ordered a set and have yet to fire any. But by the way they look they should fly like field points!
xringer

Post by xringer »

Thanks for the input Farmhand. I'll try them out.......Vince