O/T Traditional style recurve

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GLC

O/T Traditional style recurve

Post by GLC »

Looking for a recurve or longbow with sight pins or ability to add them.

I realize that this is not the most traditional way to go, but I am just looking at options at this point before I jump into buying a bow.

Looking for a decent bow for recreational shooting. Thinking 45-50 lb pull max.

What draw weight would you suggest for an adult in average shape, no disabilities, and average size?

I have been shooting an Excalibur Exocet 200 for a while but that is the extent of my archery experience.

I checked out the PSE website and I like the looks of the PSE Coyote recurve. I also like the looks of the Hoyt Gamemaster.

Thanks for suggestions and input.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Martin also make some nice trad and recurves you could look at.

http://www.martinarchery.com/index.php? ... raditional
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I myself like the chekmate longbow made here in B.C. I have 2 longbows and one recurve made by chekmate. I have to agree with Digger, Martin makes some nice longbows. I really like there longbow called the Vision when you shot it you get no hand shock it is one smooth bow. We probably have 30 to 40 guys out at the archery range that shoot longbows and most of them are shooting between 50 to 55 pounds. My crusader longbow 56 pounds and my longhorn is 64 pounds. I use the longhorn for hunting when I am not using my exocet 200.
Last edited by Maritimer on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've owned and quickly sold a PSE Coyote. It just wasn't that good of a recurve in my opinion. No particular reason, other than it just didn't "feel" right. I like the Martins for a line of good bows. I would highly recommend starting off with a light poundage. It used to be 45# was considered a good hunting weight for up to deer, but I think "macho-ism" got to a lot of us and we went up in weight. I've shot as high as 70# recurves, but for all-day shooting fun & enjoyment the 45-50# range makes a lot more sense. I now shoot in that range because my shoulder just won't take heavier weight now. Could be all those years of shooting heavier weight hastened the demise of my shoulder, but I can't say that for sure.
wabi
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I should have mentioned that I only have a 26 1/2 inch draw length and that my bows are rated for a 28 inch draw length. That being said you lose around 4 pounds pull for every inch short of the full 28 inch draw. So being 1 1/2 inch shy of 28 I am only drawing around 50 pounds for one bow and 58 pounds for the other.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

ttt