point of impact

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

point of impact

Post by M&M »

has anyone done any testing on arrow point of impact difference on from shooting on the ground as compaired to an elevated position like say a tree stand? I have allways sighted my crossbow in from an elevated position because I hunt mostly from a tree stand. but if I sighted it in on the ground from a rest, what would be the change in arrow impact from a tree stand of say 15 feet? M&M
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

If you've zeroed your crossbow in at 20 yards the way you've described in your post above, and you're shooting at something that is 20 yards out from a 15 foot elevated stand there should not be much of a difference in your POI, if any at all.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I did last year with my switch to carbon bolts and found no difference in the point of impact. I didn't get out beyond 20 yards in my practice shots on my decoy since the area I'm hunting in doesn't give me a shot at any more of a distance. My stand is about 18 feet up and I felt very good about how the bolt flew both from the bench to zero and from the treestand.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've always sighted-in on the ground and then checked my accuracy from the stand(s) I plan to shoot from to the most likely points a deer would approach from. I can't see any change in point of impact, but I expect my groups to open up slightly shooting offhand (without a bench rest) anyway. I found a bunch of softball sized colored plastic toy balls a few years ago, and I use them for targets/yardage markers. I place yellow at 10 yards, green at 20, and red at 30. From the stand I can hit them easily at all ranges with a dead-on hold if I do my part.
BTW-they don't seem to spook the deer, but I did have a button buck come in last year while I was in my ground blind and pick something up in his mouth and toss it up in the air, then repeat the act 2 or 3 times. I'm setting there thinking "he's like a puppy playing with a toy, but what the heck is he playing with?" when it hit me - one of my yardage marker balls!!!!! But then he's the same buck that watched me walk within 20 yards and go back to feeding on some pawpaws. I had to walk past him to get to the stand I wanted to hunt that day, and I guess he wasn't going to give up a gourmet meal for some noisy, smelly human. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

ttt