Soon to be Exomax owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Major Tom

Soon to be Exomax owner

Post by Major Tom »

hello all,

I have been kicking around the idea of a crossbow for some time now and have finally decided to take the leap.

Last year I began seriously looking at them but seeing as how gun season had already started i decided to wait. ...And thank god I did because at that time I was only looking at the barnett xs revolution and a horton legend. Since then I have done research and found quite a few negatives for both crossbows.

Ive decided the excalibur is the most reliable solution available and have settled on the exomax.
The cheapest I can find one is at outdoors experience
http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/exclexomax.html

The package wont do me much good because I am in alabama and we are currently unable to use magnification legally during deer season so Id be paying for a varizone scope in vane.
This either puts me with a red dot or a 1 power scope. I feel the 1 power scope would be more accurate but I am not really finding any 1 powers with ranged reticles(for the red dot I am liking the truglo 35mm but id really like to find a ranged reticle 1x if possible).

If anybody knows a better deal on an exomax or has 2 cents to throw in about a 1X ranged reticle versus a red dot please speak up.

Tom
dw

Post by dw »

"you gotta love it"
axis

Check out:

Post by axis »

Major Tom, Check out Dan Miller in Ohio at Horizontal Archery 37432 Fifth Avenue 43946 740-483-2312
He can set you up. That's where i got my Exomax and it is fast. If you call Excalibur in canada and tell them your in the u.s.a. they will give you his number. He's the man for Excalibur in the u.s. :wink:

Axis :)
A.W

Re: Check out:

Post by A.W »

axis wrote:Major Tom, Check out Dan Miller in Ohio at Horizontal Archery 37432 Fifth Avenue 43946 740-483-2312
He can set you up. That's where i got my Exomax and it is fast. If you call Excalibur in canada and tell them your in the u.s.a. they will give you his number. He's the man for Excalibur in the u.s. :wink:

Axis :)
Horizontal Archery
37432 Fifth Ave.
Sardis, OH
43946 US
740-483-2312
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Can't add much input on pricing, but Dan Miller is a reputable dealer and I believe the US warranty rep.
As for scopes/red-dots, I put a TruGlo 3-dot sight on my Phoenix, and it's been very good so far. Seems to be holding up good, is reasonably accurate, and gives three aiming points. On the Phoenix the aiming points are close at 15-25-40 yards. I just sighted in with the middle dot at 25 yards and checked to see where the others were hitting.
wabi
Major Tom

Post by Major Tom »

bstout wrote:Welcome to the group Tom! :D Nice bunch of folks in here.

I purchased my Excalibur from Dan Miller also. Dan's the man! He may not be the least expensive but he's the best. I'd buy from Dan again in a heartbeat.

Be sure and check your local laws. 200 lbs is maximum draw weight in some States for hunting. I think Pennsylvania is one of them. I'm not sure if Alabama has a max draw weight or not for hunting.

I shoot the Vixen. Way more crossbow than I need since my average shot on a whitetail is about 12 yards. I always get a pass through even with 150 pounds of draw weight. I can hit a spot on my target the size of a dime 4 out of five times at twenty yards.

Bob
i was worried about the draw weight too, but after searching the 06-07 hunting pamphlet i cant find anything limiting crossbow specification other than the minimum draw weight and the forbiddance of magnification. I got my fingers crossed :wink:
Major Tom

Post by Major Tom »

Well, the exomax is on the way. Thanks DW for the link to woodbury out fitters.

I also got the right stuff package for $239 with scope , since I cant use the scope for hunting i figure Ill just get a red dot for hunting season.
But I wanted the scope to at least have a baseline of accuracy to compare to. Plus I really feel Ill get some enjoyment outside of hunting season with the varizone . :)
dw

Post by dw »

no problem! congrats major tom. :D
"dw"
"you gotta love it"