Food plot pics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Food plot pics

Post by wabi »

Decided to add a couple food plots to the land I hunt this year, but the weather and my scheduling haven't been together on the idea. We had a heavy rain here at home Friday, but the farm I hunt just got a light rain. I got with the landowner this morning and we decided to go ahead and plant them today. He had access to 30# of soy beans, and his mom had about 10# of different varieties of green beans, so we added some commercial food plot seed mix from a WalMart close-out and mixed it all.
We had plowed & disc this spring, but I took the big tractor and disc everything again while he ran some errands & picked up the soy beans, then we seeded the plots with the combined mixture & lightly disc again to cover.
I hope we get some rain this coming week to get everything started. I'll try to get some pics as I go along with the project.

Left window view from my blind (my son's under the feeder I'll get operating soon)

Right window view (the disc ground is what we seeded today the rest is clover we planted last year)

Ladder stand view of plot #2 - just a small patch in a horseshoe bend the creek makes. There's a few good deer trails that converge there!

View of plot #3 - the creek borders it on the left side and makes a 90 º bend at the far end which funnels several deer trails to the area.

And of course with it being a hot summer day, I had to stop a few times for my son to have a break. :lol:

BTW- Ole dad had a few of the blackberries, too. :wink:
Going back with a couple buckets later this week!
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

looking good man.. i can post some pics of about 500acres of soybeans we have for food plots.. of coarse they arent intended to be used for that though :lol: :D but the deer dont know that lol

ive got to see the local game warden shortly and get damage stamps for some of our crops :evil:
Rich

Post by Rich »

Crazyfarmer,

Let me know if you need any help with the crop damage permits, always willing to help a farmer thin out the deer population. I make some mean summer sausage, pepperoni, deer bologna, and italian sausage we can split. Have Exocet 200, will travel.

Rich
PRB

Post by PRB »

Simply beautiful. Those are some really great looking hunting sights. I really like the "Ladder stand view of plot #2" and how high is it ?
Which one is your favorite ?
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:Crazyfarmer,

Let me know if you need any help with the crop damage permits, always willing to help a farmer thin out the deer population. I make some mean summer sausage, pepperoni, deer bologna, and italian sausage we can split. Have Exocet 200, will travel.

Rich
HAHHAHA, will do man :D 8) its bad down here when its about 18 deer in the field at night right beside the local hunt club LMAO. Whats worse is their dogs dont even bark at them in plain site :shock:
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

same here, the ladder stand looks great, looks to be very private, let the deer feel at home right until you shoot them :twisted: :lol:
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
wabi

Post by wabi »

There is one small tree in the center of the ladder stand plot. Last fall there was a huge scrape under the tree! I moved the ladder stand to that location, but mostly hunted the primary food plot last year. I decided to go ahead and plant something there this year to see if it might get some traffic during hunting hours. The food plot is merely a small clearing in a band of trees that border the creek. As I said the creek makes a small "horseshoe" bend there, there are two good crossings in the bend. One right at the bottom of the U (to the left of the stand) and if you look in the lower center of the pic you'll notice light shining through the brush at ground level. That's the other crossing that leads to an overgrown field on the other side of the creek. The main food plot is at the far end of that field. (about 200-250 yards away). The creek is very close to the property line at the bend, and the farm on the other side gets almost no hunting or foot traffic, but there's a nice stand of hardwoods with patches of cedars that make great bedding areas, plus there's almost no agricultural activities on thet farm, so they don't have corn & beans to munch on there. Even if they head to the main food plot there's a good chance they'll come through this one on the way.
I plan to hunt it very sparingly this fall. I'll let them get used to feeding there and feeling secure. Probably only hunt it once every week or two, and only if the wind's in my favor.
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Looks good Wabi! A promising spot it seems. How big are the food plots?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

chris4570 wrote:Looks good Wabi! A promising spot it seems. How big are the food plots?
Seems like the main plot grows a little each year, it's probably about 3/4 acre now. The other two are very small, perhaps 1/4 acre.
We probably won't even hunt the long one by the creek this year, but we have a blind in the woods that covers a few trails nearby. Not a good archery setup, but come MZ & gun seasons...... :wink:
wabi
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Sounds like your well prepared for the season ahead.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps