Need help with deer draws.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

houndogger

Need help with deer draws.

Post by houndogger »

If I want to hunt in the local Controlled Hunt, as well as get a tag for my bow how does that work?

Do I enter the controlled hunt draw to get my validation tag, then enter the additional tag draw for my area to get a bow tag?
Then just go and buy my deer licsence after.

Please enlighten me

confused as usual Dogger
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

You are right, it is all rather confusing. First of all you do have to purchase a deer licence. With the purchase of that licence you can apply for an anterless permit for a sinlge WMU. The deadline for this draw is July 31.This licence will allow you to kill a buck anywhere in the province and an anterless deer in the WMU you applied for (assuming you are successful in the draw). In terms of you weapon of chioce that you use to fill this tag, it really depends on the season and WMU you are hunting in, as to what the restrictions are. Additional tags can be purchased by phone beginning Aug. 8. The restrictions for use of these tags is outlined in the additional tag brochure available on the MNR website under the fish and wildlife menu. Finally you can apply for the controlled hunts beginning Aug. 1 - Aug. 31. Being succesful in the controlled hunt only permits you to hunt in the controlled hunt. You would still need a valid deer hunting validation tag. However, some WMU's do have additional tags now that are specific to controlled hunts. Again restrictions on weapons and anterless vs. amterled deer are subject to the retsrictions in that WMU. The additional tags for the controlled hunts go on sale Oct. 16 at local MNR office that manages the WMU.

To further complicate things party hunting is permitted on all of these tags. The definition of party hunting is another kettle of fish. So even if you don't have a tag, you can hun with a buddy who does. The only exception being the controlled hunts. You do have to be successful in the controlled hunt draw, although you could still hunt if you did not have a validation tag, but you are hunting with a buddy who does and who was successful in thr controlled hunt draw.

CLEARS AS MUD ???