Is Exomax fastest??!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Swede

Is Exomax fastest??!

Post by Swede »

I was just reading the European crossbow dealer "Arrow in Apple" homepage. I dont read german but what I can see is the Great Lakes Impact 2006 the fastest hunting crossbow. He is also Excalibur dealer but he says the Exomax speed is 347fps and the Impact 357fps. Who can I trust? Off course I want the Exomax to be the fastest but I do wonder when this dealer writes like that.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Swede here is straight from the Excalibur site and many have agreed with the speeds quoted. Some have actually said their bow was faster then what they quoted.
The Exomax is the fastest hunting crossbow ever produced, boasting a 225lb. draw weight and capable of arrow speeds exceeding 355 FPS
I also know that the arrows used in these speed quotes are normal hunting size arrows. I am not sure what Great Lakes uses for arrow sizes, some use undersized arrows that will give you greater speeds, but advise you not to shoot that arrow cause it could cause dammage to your bow. That will probually need to be looked into. The Exomax will give speeds greater then 350 with the arrow they state, which you can hunt with.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Swede

Post by Swede »

The arrow that is used is 29.82grams(460grains). But I guess the Exomax is the crossbow that will hold in the long run. Thanks for your answer. But reading some information(even from dealers) makes me confused.
Swede

Post by Swede »

This is not a big deal except if I keep hearing from other crossbow shooters that the Great Lakes Impact is the strongest and fastest. It gets me realy tired. And another thing is that this german dealer have even higher speed on the Impact than Great Lakes them selves say on their homepage. But the worse thing is that he also is Excalibur dealer. And like Excalibur them selves use the fact that the Exomax is the fastest hunting crossbow it does matter when looking at marketing values. What do you think people think when they are going to buy a crossbow when they get different information from Excalibur and the dealer that sells Excalibur? Is it realy good for Excalibur if one of their own dealers dont stand by their own saying about the Exomax being fastest? I agree with you that some fps more or less doesnt matters but it do matters. Off course if you are sitting as a hunter in the woods waiting for an animal it might not have any value at all. But there are other users of crossbows than hunters. In some competetions there can be a big advantage having the fastest crossbow. Atleast it give you confidence that you have the advantage of speed. But off course the biggest advantage with the Excalibur is the accuracy.
Swede

Post by Swede »

I am saving up money to buy a realy fast crossbow in the near future and that will be an Exomax. No question about it. I have never thought about anything else than an Excalibur. Having two Excalibur crossbows and Im more than happy with them so why change :D . This post is not about if I am going to buy the Exomax or someother crossbow.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Swede I agree that there is a need for speed, but only because of theneed of people to be the best. I also will admit that the rules around the world are different, therefore the wants and needs of the customer will be different. In North America many States limit the poundage of the bow to 200Lbs. The shooting compititions also limit the speed (for saftey & dependability reasons) of the bows to below 200lbs.

Now quite a few years ago, Bill T (owner of excalibur) was asked about speed, was his bows maxed out (no pun intended, it was before the exomax). Bill replied that he could build build bows alot faster if he wanted to but that was not what he wanted to do. What he wants to build are reliable fast bows, I believe at this time he upgraded the exomag to the 200lb mark. What was also said was that if there was a market out there for faster bows and he could build one that met the dependability that Excalibur demands, then he would produce one.

A few years later Excalibur came out with the Exomax. You can build a bow as fast as you want to build, but the question is, will it be reliable or safe. Personally, for me, when dealing with hunting tools, I will always go with the dependable safe bow or gun. This is, I will go with the bow made from a company that has a track record with safe reliable bows. The new company and their claims will need to be proven over time for me to put my hunting at risk with them. A failure of a hunting tool when hunting can totally ruin a hunt which is normally something I have waited for all year and only get one chance for. Would you take a chance on a archery moose hunt, that maybe you had to wait for 4 or 5 years to get a tag to hunt on a bow that might not be dependable.

Reliability is what I have in my bow. I bought the Relayer over 23 years ago with very little problems. I had a scope fail on me just before deer season opening and Excalibur went out of their way to make sure I was ready for the season opening. The only other probblem I have had is that 1 bolt broke. Now it was the bolt that held the limb (single limb) to the stock but it was a simple fix that could have been fixed in the field if needed.

I guess this long winded little history lesson is only for me to say, how bad do you really want to push the speed limit of the bows. By the way, my Relayer is only 150lbs.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Swede

Post by Swede »

For the moment I mostly shoot my Vixen and I just love it. It is so accurate and feels so reliable so I would actually not need much more than the Vixen. I also have the weakest Excalibur(PointBlanc) that brings be lots of joy. I guess its a guy thing of feeling the urge of having the fastest crossbow :D . But like I told you before in this forum I want to shoot some more long distance shooting(TARGET SHOOTING! NOT HUNTING) and for that I want some more power. And thinking of my other two Excaliburs the Exomax would be a nice compliment in my collection.
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

i just put a new string and the blazer vanes on my exomax and its shooting 379fps i love it but it dosent matter how fast it is im never giving it up thanks excalibur for making such great bows
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: WOW !! Livetahunt what else have you done to your bow?? I have had mine TEFFLON coated and have shot 358 grain bolts that are ballenced perfect, have tried every string possible and the best I have ever got is 367 F.P.S. I am a bow tech . and have access to every thing to soup up bows and X-BOWS , and have tried BLAZER'S, QUICK SPINS . ECT. ECT. Let us all in on what you are doing to get these speeds , I want in on this speed record. GREYWOLF :D
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Swede

Post by Swede »

What I understand there no easy answer why an Excalibur dealer in Europe says that the Exomax isnt the fastest. But I will never get into speed discussions with people over here any more. I will only tell them Excalibur is durable and accurate.

The two latest postings where interesting. I might test a bit in the future when I have bought my Exomax.

Greywolf....did you only put teflon on the rail? How did you do that? Do you know how much you gained by that?
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

It was sprayed on then baked in a industrial oven, I gained about 6-10 F.P.S. and a lot less bolt ware. GREYWOLF
[/img]Image
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Swede

Post by Swede »

Greywolf.... I like the idea and thanks for the pictures. I am considering finding someone near that is working with teflon coatings. Do you find the teflon durable or do you wear it out? And I must also say its looks great! The black rails and your custom stock. I LIKE!!!